I give up!! 1 firefish MIA no leftovers no where to be found

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Civicman86

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I got a replacment firefish yesterday along with two more pieces of cured rock. Last night when I went to bed both fish were in their hole in one of my rocks (together just chillin). I just got home from class and I cant seem to find the smaller one anywhere. The larger one is still in his hole but the little one no where to be found. I really dont want to move all the rocks around but I need to know if he is dead or hiding or where the hell he is. How long would it take a clean up crew (2 hermits, about 13 astrea and 10 nass) snails to clean up a dead carcass if he did die. In the past I have had most the fish left by the time I got hom to them grubbing on him. He has not jumped out of the tank either. I have eggcrate over the entire top and looked on the floor.

Im going to presume him MIA. I moved all but the very large rock in my tank and there is no sign of him or leftovers.

I give up. No more fish for me.

What is MIA? Why do you give up? This is one fish... no reason to not try different fish. Thats not a good attitude.

I know, but he said no more fish overall... Im like "what are you talking about! Its only 1 fish!". lol But still, he shouldnt give up from just 1 fish Missing in Action (lol).

binaryterror said:
I know, but he said no more fish overall... Im like "what are you talking about! Its only 1 fish!". lol But still, he shouldnt give up from just 1 fish Missing in Action (lol).

You havent seen the numerous other great experiences I have had with fish :-\ (Although a few were b/c of my mistakes, others I have no idea)

Well, I hate to hear that. Maybe he will turn up.. just maybe... You never know.

I had my royal gramma, whom I thought was long gone, hadn't seen him in WEEKS! and I took my/his pc of barnacle out to wash, dropped it in the sink with soapy bleach water and out he popped! He lived many years after and he often came up MIA and then just showed back up. Sooo, I hope this is the case for you as well.

Well the last 2 clown (both killed by my ignorance) and these 2 firefish were bought from this store. I think they are really good though. They wont sell me anyfish until 4 days after they are delivered to ensure they are healthy. I was getting them from a feeders supply but I had really bad luck with some of their fish. It confusing though cuase some of the fish I get do really well. And now I have one just vanish. I took care of all the "loop holes" in the tank (i.e. strainer for ph and pvc for sump, got a lid, all paramaters are in good shape, etc) and I still have bad luck. I have kept corals and a skunk cleaner just fine (which to my knowledge can usually be pretty hard to get comfy and survive), so I dunno whats going on. If its me or just fish hate me. I have had major success with FW tanks and this tank is really depressing me. I have put about as much time, money and effort into it as I possible can.

Is it possible for a cleanup crew to make a dead fish vanish that quickly?

Civicman86 said:
Is it possible for a cleanup crew to make a dead fish vanish that quickly?

Are they the larger hermits? I can’t personally see two of the smaller red/blue leg hermits being able to completely devour a 2+” fish that quickly. Are you sure it didn’t jump out of the tank? Fish\inverts have an uncanny ability to hide if they don’t want to be found. I thought I was missing a fish for a week and then one day it just appeared out of the blue.

SW fish in particular can be very hit/miss in keeping because most are wild caught and no matter how well they are captured or kept at the lfs you always run the risk of one dieing due to “Mysterious Circumstances”. FW of course are mostly bred and naturally come from less than perfect water sources hence their ability to survive almost anything you throw at them due to the biological advantage they have over SW fish.

I wouldn’t give up just yet, perhaps you would have better luck with a larger tank.

Yeah well I plan on getting a 180gallon when I move out into my own place (after college) but until then the 29gallon will have to do. I love the tank but fish just seem to hate it. Im 99.9% positive that he didnt jump and the hermits arent small but not huge. I definatly dont see them eating it quickly either. I hope he is just hiding. It seems alot of people have had their fish hide for a couple weeks. I hope this is the case.

skip your next feeding

and watch the next time you feed...

i.e i feed every 2-3 days, if i miss one, everyone comes out to play during the next feeding.

I will try that. the other fish has found a VERY good hiding spot. I almost thought he was gone too but ended up spotting a reflecting eye

Back
Top Bottom