Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-19-2007, 12:57 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Exposure to air seems to be an excuse as to why a star dies when there is no other reasoning. Water quality and salinity acclimation has always been the determining factor since I can remember. Also, given the fact that most stars will not show any illnesses until several weeks to a month has gone by, giving them a week at the lfs really does nothing and if anything you are better off cherry picking from the bag.

Old 06-19-2007, 01:47 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I think the blue linkia's are known to be a bit more finicky. I lost 2 marble sea stars before I tried a orange linkia. It had been at the LFS for a while before I bought it and has done great.

Old 06-19-2007, 03:35 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm looking for info from a place other then a fish dealer. I checked wetwebmedia and found only 2 question that dealt with this question and one said air bubbles are bad not air and the other said exposure to air is not a issue, one was answered by Fenner.

I'm looking for info from known individuals in the hobby like Fenner, Shimek, Michael.

Agree that taking precautions is always a good thing.
I had my linkia about 18 months and it was exposed to the air several times when I got it.. Was thinking of trying another and want to get more info before i do.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 04:20 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
I understand what you are saying but in nature they typically are not found in the tidal regions near the shore but more in the 30+ foot deep range. If you Google linckia sea stars you will notice that 99% of all the images are shown with the linckia sea star underwater. Where as if you just Google Sea Star you can find tons of photos of red, sand, ect type sea stars on rocks out of the water in their natural environment.

Finding documentation for well respected authors is difficult. Found this on www.wetwebmedia.com by Bob Fenner:

"Echinoderms are aerobic organisms; although some may stand extended periods of low levels of oxygen or exposure to the air, others do not."

From www.vifishandwildlife.com there is this:

"Sea stars typically are found on sandy of mud bottoms, though Linckia guildingii, an occasional Caribbean species, is found on reefs from 7 to 40 m of water."

That's about it and I agree that the "air exposure" argument is a bit misleading and more then likely deaths should be attributive to short acclimation and osmotic shock more.

I do take Live Aquaria's advice to heart more then most "fish dealers" though as most of their info is dead on in other areas.

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 04:53 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Micah they are found in tidal pools, just watched a show on TV last week that was on life found in tidal pools and a large blue linkia was one of the critters. I'm sure there in deep water also but shallow water is where there found alot.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linckia_laevigata
http://www.waza.org/virtualzoo/facts...ain=virtualzoo

Did you click on any of the pics in the link you posted? Most are taken in shallow water and pooled areas. One lady is in waist deep water!!

Totally agree with you on acclimation time and shock being big issues

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 05:05 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
Would have loved to see that show.

I did click on a lot of photos and saw the people in tide pools holding them. I'm not saying that they are only found in deep water but most of the articles I've read state they are typically found in deep water.

As I said I do not honestly think air exposure is detrimental to Linckia Sea Stars but taking ANY extra precautions with them due to their already well known fragile nature is always a good idea IMO.

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 05:56 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

You can also note they will climb the glass and expose their arms to air without any negative impact. Many of these stars seem to be doomed from the get-go considering shipping protocols and delays not to mention the unlikelihood of distributor/wholesaler acclimation let alone lfs acclimation procedures. By the time they reach the consumer...
Old 06-19-2007, 07:02 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hmmm...interesting. I too believe that the linka should not be exposed to air. Why? Simply because of what I have read hear and on the good Docotr's site. About four weeks ago I purchased a nice blue linka from the LFS. It had been in one their show reefs for months and I guess they got tired of me asking to buy it so they sold it to me for $30. Anyhoo...as the manager was bagging itup he did expose it air. I asked him about it and he told me that it if fine to expose them to air for a breif time. Keep in mind he has a degree in marine biology and has been in the business for several years. I would still agree that air exposure it not the best for these animals, but I am now not sure exactly what it does to them. I have a feeling far more fall victum to poor acclimation processes or water parameters. I may email the liveaquaria.com and inquire as to why they suggest this.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:16 AM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Quote:
Originally Posted by lando
I may email the liveaquaria.com and inquire as to why they suggest this.
Definitely let us know!!

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com