I give up!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

artoledo

Aquarium Advice Freak
My blue linckia starfish has died. :cry: I have decided to give up on starfish since this is the second blue star that dies on me. Even though this one lasted longer than the first, I dont want to keep buying them as guinea pigs until i get it right.

I assume since it's your second you know how to care for them as far as acclimation and not exposing to air. With 120 lbs of lr in a 75 gal you have a good tank for them. IMO I wouldn't give up completely, it could have just been ill when you purchased them.

IME if you give Sea Stars very long 3-4 hour drip acclimations and don't expose to air they are usually very hardy and can forage from the sand/lr with very little additional feedings. (I feed mine a finger nail sized piece of raw shrimp soaked in Selcon once every other week)

I understand if you don't want to try again, it can be very depressing when stock dies and you do everything right.

Out of curiosity could you post your latest water parameter numbers i.e. ph/temp/sg/nh3/no2/no3/alk/ca just to make sure it isn't anything else.

I agree with Tec although Linkia starfish have a reputation of being harder to keep then some others. Most people would agree though that acclimation is key here and doing a 3-4 hour drip acclimation and making sure the star isnt exposed to air should be helpful tips.

I would suggest you have your LFS order one and wait about a week before you buy it. My LFS had them come in all the time and died. I asked them if it had been subjected to air and they said there was air in the bag (they didn't know that they couldn't be wxposed to the air) and they probably also exposed it to air, while moving it from the bag to the tank.

tecwzrd said:
Out of curiosity could you post your latest water parameter numbers i.e. ph/temp/sg/nh3/no2/no3/alk/ca just to make sure it isn't anything else.

8.2/78.9/1.024/0/0/0/12/480.

I think i will ask the LFS to order the star next time and wait a bit. Im not sure that i want it just yet. I will see.

roka64 said:
(they didn't know that they couldn't be wxposed to the air) and they probably also exposed it to air, while moving it from the bag to the tank.

Where is this info that they can't be exposed to air? I have looked on the net and have not found any info on this.

seaham358 said:
roka64 said:
(they didn't know that they couldn't be wxposed to the air) and they probably also exposed it to air, while moving it from the bag to the tank.

Where is this info that they can't be exposed to air? I have looked on the net and have not found any info on this.

I believe it is a safe practice to prolonging the stars life. Not that it cannot be done, it is just not healthy for them.

Yeah. It states that it should never be exposed. It doesnt say it cannot. Either way, i dont expose it to air. i learned from my first experience. but then again, i feel like it didnt matter since it died on me.

Exposure to air seems to be an excuse as to why a star dies when there is no other reasoning. Water quality and salinity acclimation has always been the determining factor since I can remember. Also, given the fact that most stars will not show any illnesses until several weeks to a month has gone by, giving them a week at the lfs really does nothing and if anything you are better off cherry picking from the bag.

I think the blue linkia's are known to be a bit more finicky. I lost 2 marble sea stars before I tried a orange linkia. It had been at the LFS for a while before I bought it and has done great.

I'm looking for info from a place other then a fish dealer. I checked wetwebmedia and found only 2 question that dealt with this question and one said air bubbles are bad not air and the other said exposure to air is not a issue, one was answered by Fenner.

I'm looking for info from known individuals in the hobby like Fenner, Shimek, Michael.

Agree that taking precautions is always a good thing.
I had my linkia about 18 months and it was exposed to the air several times when I got it.. Was thinking of trying another and want to get more info before i do.

I understand what you are saying but in nature they typically are not found in the tidal regions near the shore but more in the 30+ foot deep range. If you Google linckia sea stars you will notice that 99% of all the images are shown with the linckia sea star underwater. Where as if you just Google Sea Star you can find tons of photos of red, sand, ect type sea stars on rocks out of the water in their natural environment.

Finding documentation for well respected authors is difficult. Found this on www.wetwebmedia.com by Bob Fenner:

"Echinoderms are aerobic organisms; although some may stand extended periods of low levels of oxygen or exposure to the air, others do not."

From www.vifishandwildlife.com there is this:

"Sea stars typically are found on sandy of mud bottoms, though Linckia guildingii, an occasional Caribbean species, is found on reefs from 7 to 40 m of water."

That's about it and I agree that the "air exposure" argument is a bit misleading and more then likely deaths should be attributive to short acclimation and osmotic shock more.

I do take Live Aquaria's advice to heart more then most "fish dealers" though as most of their info is dead on in other areas.

Micah they are found in tidal pools, just watched a show on TV last week that was on life found in tidal pools and a large blue linkia was one of the critters. I'm sure there in deep water also but shallow water is where there found alot.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linckia_laevigata
http://www.waza.org/virtualzoo/factsheet.php?id=876-012-010-002&view=Echinodermata&main=virtualzoo

Did you click on any of the pics in the link you posted? Most are taken in shallow water and pooled areas. One lady is in waist deep water!!

Totally agree with you on acclimation time and shock being big issues

Would have loved to see that show.

I did click on a lot of photos and saw the people in tide pools holding them. I'm not saying that they are only found in deep water but most of the articles I've read state they are typically found in deep water.

As I said I do not honestly think air exposure is detrimental to Linckia Sea Stars but taking ANY extra precautions with them due to their already well known fragile nature is always a good idea IMO.

You can also note they will climb the glass and expose their arms to air without any negative impact. Many of these stars seem to be doomed from the get-go considering shipping protocols and delays not to mention the unlikelihood of distributor/wholesaler acclimation let alone lfs acclimation procedures. By the time they reach the consumer...

Hmmm...interesting. I too believe that the linka should not be exposed to air. Why? Simply because of what I have read hear and on the good Docotr's site. About four weeks ago I purchased a nice blue linka from the LFS. It had been in one their show reefs for months and I guess they got tired of me asking to buy it so they sold it to me for $30. Anyhoo...as the manager was bagging itup he did expose it air. I asked him about it and he told me that it if fine to expose them to air for a breif time. Keep in mind he has a degree in marine biology and has been in the business for several years. I would still agree that air exposure it not the best for these animals, but I am now not sure exactly what it does to them. I have a feeling far more fall victum to poor acclimation processes or water parameters. I may email the liveaquaria.com and inquire as to why they suggest this.

Back
Top Bottom