I got baby xenia!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roberz00

Aquarium Advice Activist
WHOOOOOOO WHEEEEEEEEEEE!
Bought a little piece of LR from my LF and low and behold it had a little pulsating Xenia sprout on it. Didnt see it before but today it was opened up and pulsing. Wow those thing s are cool to look at. My LFS rep. was like you got what????? They didnt even know it was on the rock as they inspect it all when it comes in and they QT and cure it for trouble. I lucked out or am I gonna have to change my tank runnings?? Off to go get some Xenia food stuff and such. It small enough that I can not get a good shot of it with out the image being blurred out. They are that small

I'm a week past the cycling( I dont have the data numbers but all must be good) and had seen the little rock chunk in their LR tanks, You know, that one piece that would go perfectly in a certain spot to fill a void. hehehe I even got a 2 new fish, one for the salt tank and my replacement algae eater for the bad one from their bad shipment.

What is your lighting in the aquarium? I have pulsing Xenia and I haven't heard anything about Xenia food, if anything I'm sure they take the micro nutrients in the water. That's awesome you had a random frag on a life rock! Congrats.

If the tank is still stock, I got it used from the owner of my LFS, 1-36 watt true actinic 03 blue, 1-36 watt 10,000 daylight, and 3-.75 watt lunar blue moon glow LEDS. Both mains lights are the CF type. Again that info is basedon the stock tank listing in the manual.
As for the food, They gave me a bottle of liquid plankton called Marine Snow by Two Little Fishes

I would not suggest you adding marine snow to your system right now.

Congratulations on the xenia. If you like it that much I have a TON I can send you. I hate the stuff.

Xenia will either thrive in your system or it will perish. There seems to be no in between. It is one of those corals that grows for you or it doesn't. Unfortunately it likes my system. I've never fed it and it is doing just fine. It will get what it needs from the water column, you don't need to feed it.

SEND SEND SEND. LOL My wife absolutely loves them. Now Water column??? Would the be the flow for the PH output or???? And would I have to change my PH? I have in there one of those rotator types, spins in the output flow of the pump. Kinda creates a swirly type current. Its in the Biocube 29g tank. Oh for clarification.. its the Pulsating Xenia that I have.

Last edited:
Be careful of what you ask. Xenia can overtake a 29g tank real fast. No xenia food is needed. NOT NEEDED! They feed from the light and the water cloumn.

Also, I'd consider placing that rock up high with the xenia on it. If you place it low, it will creep upwards fast and cover a lot more real eatste than you ultimately want, believe me.

All xenia is "pulsating" yet there are different varieties. Some gro faster than others. Elongata is the most popular and grows too fast IMO. Will take over other corals in it's path. Pom pom is another. More silvery looking and slower growing.

I'd stick with what you've got and go from there w/out adding more if it were me. Also, I don't believe it ships very well at all.

If I can get a decent/good pic of these little guys I will get them posted. They are up high bout 1-1.5 inches ( guesstimating) from the surface and a bit to the (their) left of the PH. SHould they be in the flow or or will they be ok in the offset so to speak?

They will do fine in areas of high flow and low flow and just about anywhere in between.

What Austinsdad is telling you is very true. If it is not at the highest possible point on the rock/structure it is on then it will climb and leave parts behind to grow into more xenia.

well they are up high and i think they are replicating as it looks as if there are a cple new "sprouts" on the base of the "stalk". I will definately keep an close eye on the colony to make sure that they do not over crowd the tank

Back
Top Bottom