I got them

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Billy, I was actually planning to do this. It amazes me how well the 3 originals get along. They stay together and basically patrol and keep the new ones to a corner now. Tommorow if nothings improved I am going to put the 3 old ones in my refugium (55 gal) then redo the rock work. I had planned to remove the 3, but the rocks is also a good idea. Thanks for the advice, I hope I can catch them with out to many issues 8O

Thanks mrmarine

If this works it will be cool. Please keep a watch not only on the newcomers but also on all the occupants and also your levels, I'm sure you don't want a bio load problem.

Im off work tommorow, im going to do my best to remove the 3 aggresors. Also if I have the time get some more macro for the fuge to help with nutrients.

Six-Line,
Although i would never recommend anyone ever doing this, i understand why you wanted to. after seeing about 5 120 gal tanks filled with about 20-30 yellow tangs at a wholesaler i was able to visit, i thought it was so cool to see them school in large numbers. it sounds like you are doing everything to take proper care of them and make them happy so im pulling for you. just kep a close eye on them and be prepared for the worst. Good Luck :)

0.jpg

1.jpg

Quick update pics

Thanks BB yea, they are really neat in a group, mine don't really school yet.

I guess we can consider this experiment a success. We have a 6ft tank, 55 gallons of water, 23 fish....mostly tangs. So thats what? 3inches of water per fish and about 2.3 gallons of water per fish. That should work considering they are not aggressive and they are not "sprinters." :roll:

What I fear more than anything is that some rookie is going to look at this thread and think "well he did it...it must be okay."

Six....I think your a nice guy, and I dont want to see you banned...but I lost a lot of respect for your advise due to this one thread.

I'll get down off my soap box now. Best of luck to you and your tangs.

SquishyFish said:
I guess we can consider this experiment a success.
No one has made this conclusion yet, not even six-line.

I understand and agree with your concern one what a new-comers thoughts may be. There have been plenty of posts expressing concern and caution. Anyone reading this thread will see just how many folks are opposed to what to six-line is doing.

Six-line has also already stated multiple times, that if the agression gets out of control or he can't maintain the levels he'll return the fish to the LFS. For him and his fish I wish him the best of luck.

Six-line, keep us updated on water quality and what steps your taking to keep the levels in check!

SquishyFish, it's actually 125 gal in the main. The 55 gal was for the fuge.

reefrunner69 said:
Six-Line said:
this should be entertaining.

This isn't an attack? Anyways I got some people who liked the idea, the majority are waiting for the tang police. haha :mrgreen:

\No it wasn't an attack, it was more like a train wreck, you don't really want to look you just can't help yourself. Also, I hardly consider expecting the worst in RC as an attack on you ;)

I was right, it was entertaining, and enlightening, as well ;)

Wow for someone who gives everyone a hard time i can't believe you would do this tye of thing. I feel sorry for the fish. I really do.

Sorry if i was out of line reefrunner.

I just read through this thread, the thread at RC, and the other thread mentioned in which you stated:
SWonly aka Six-Line said:
IMO any tang requires a 6' tank. IMO anyone keeping a tang in a 55 is irresponsible. A tang will never reach its full potential and will stress. I keep three 4" tangs in my 125, and never once have I seen them pace. They very calmly swim around the rocks and are constantly grazing.

Also stated by Six-Line:
BTW it's 10 yellow tangs, it seems someone adds a new one every 3 posts, also I could care less if they school.
Because I wanted a school of them.

I may not keep SW fish, but you are a walking contradiction.
We have all made our share of mistakes, but with research and effort, we avoid making the same mistakes again and we avoid making mistakes that other people have made.

FYI--the other thread was locked.

SquishyFish said:
What I fear more than anything is that some rookie is going to look at this thread and think "well he did it...it must be okay."

Don't worry Squishy, even us sw newbs know this is a bad idea.

Sixline, do you know for sure the lfs will buy/take these fish or are you assuming? I hope that you at least make a plan in advance so that when things go bad, you won't have scramble to find home for these fish.

The problem with this experiment is these tangs are juviniles. Tangs usually become more territorial as adults and I cannot see this little experiment lasting that long. The tank is to over crowded to last that long.
Keeping these fish together for a Month or even a year would not be considered successful.
Your 125G tank with a 55G Ref. is not considered a large tank and certainly not large enough for this many fish. To Shove that many fish in a small tank, I call selfish. When you are willing to take such risk with that many living creatures you are a selfish person.
If you did this to see them school go on vacation and visit a large aquarium, I am sure they will have a school of tangs you can take pictures of.

Kaye

Yes finally someone said it. I totally agree with you specialk. For someone who is supposedly a SW enthusiast that is pure selfishness. Also maybe he is laking attention so now he has it.

Guys, this is a friendly happy community remember.. let's not stoop to personal attacks. It's quite possible to express your opinions without doing so.

friendly happy community
Come on it's still the real world, even here. That's called passion for the hobby. I enjoyed the thread on RC, thanks steve-s. I can't believe the contradictions-signature: 6' tank=happy tang Wow you jumped on alot of people here about how they kept their tangs when you first joined, now your Isaac Newton making "observations" and "experimenting" for the progression of the hobby????

I stick by what I said. It's possible to say you don't agree with someones decisions without attacking their character. Sixline would be fully justified to defend himself since I'm sure no one here knows him well enough to judge him like that, and then it only takes a few more heated exchanges and you've got yourself a flame war. Why go that route when we're all mature enough to rise above it?

Sorry guys...let's cut down on the personal stuff. This was my first reading of this thread, and although I am in total disagreement with what is done, I don't believe this needs to be a personal thing. I think the points been made, please move along.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom