I have a bone to pick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nitrate

Aquarium Advice Freak
I ordered 100 lbs of gulf rock from Liverocks.com. Zack was way to helpful during the purchasing process amd when I opened to box I wasnt prepared for all the anemones, starfish, crabs, shrimp, and creatures yet to be identified that I found. The excitement has caused me undue stress and since my tank is at work it caused everyone here to stop working for over an hour to check out all the life.

So Zach, my blood pressure is up and I have about 10 hours of lost time at work because of your rock.

:wink:

Should have got dry base rock from HIROCKS.com :wink:
Another happy LiveRocks.com customer. Can't wait to get my 100gal up so I can enjoy some too!

What kind of anemones did you find, or normally ride along with the rock from Liverock.com. To much good is said about this company, I'm going to get all my future rock from them as well. (120+ Gallon Coming JANUARY 2005) :mrgreen:

I have found 3 different types of anemone so far, my knowledge of inverts is lacking, so it may take me a while to identify them.

The critters I got most excited about was the two brittle stars I found.

Somebody tell me this, How can this rock be soo good if it has so many bad hitch hikers? I hear great things about the rock, but then on the other hand I hear horoor stories of trying to catch a thousand mantis shrimp and devil crabs. How can this be, I so want the rock, but I truly fear it as well.

How can this rock be soo good if it has so many bad hitch hikers
The price you pay for prolific LR. Desireable or not, it's the diversity you're after.
Once these pests are removed or tollerated, you are left with beautiful lively rock. :wink:

ell i have gotten rock from both places. liveaqaria and liverocks. the number of bad thing on the rock were far fewer then the good things. the liverocks when i pulled it out of the box was all coverd with red and pink coralline and the stuff from liveaquaria was not coverd at all. i had to wate a good 3 months to see some groth on it. the live rocks stuff has a lot of just good little things that you dont see on any other rock. or stuff you can see with your eye. it is stuff that helps out a lot brakeing down waste in the tnak and stuff. if any one is looking for good liverock for a lost cost look at liverocks.com. the price i payed for there rock was just a little more then the stuff at liveaquaria. but the life on liverocks.com is over 100x better.

I have 40# of gulf rock in my tank right now from liverocks.com and 40# more on the way will be here tomorrow 6/22/04 I cant wait!!! I have been very happy with it so far , I think I spend more time looking at the rock then my fish. Every day it seems I find something new. I have had my rocks now for 3 weeks, today I found a new hermit crab just a little baby was so small I could hardly see it. A couple of days a go I saw a baby sea urchin. There are other new things as well but not sure what they are yet thinking some type of coral still trying to figure it out. I do have lots of Aiptasia, they look really neat, ill kill them later when I start buying corals wish I could keep them. I also think but it is not confirmed that I might have a mantis shrimp not sure yet we shall see. I just love all the life on the rocks no complaints from me. Cant wait till tomorrow to get my new rock.

I also think but it is not confirmed that I might have a mantis shrimp

I can almost guarantee you have mantis, I had 2 in the bottom of the box when I took the rock out and I saw several more that scurried into holes before I could get to them. (I have gulf rock for lr.com too)

Ive only had my rock for 3 days and I find new life every time I look in the tank. Most of which I have no idea what is. If it only gets better with time I dont think I will be able to contain myself.

When I put my rock in I saw something that looked like a shrimp tail or maybe a little tiny lobster tail and thought COOL another live thingy Awsome,I was so happy!!!! Then I read an article about mantis shrimp what they are what they look like and what a pain they are. Then I wasnt so happy about the cool little live thingy I saw on the rock. Knowledge is a powerful thing. I could have gotten that sucker then. I have yet to see him but my crab has lost 2 claws and 2 legs. now I wondered if this was molting or an a$$ kicking?

6/21/04
6 : 21 pm Departing origin. Tampa, FL
2 : 59 pm Picked Up by DHL. Shipper's Door

My live rocks must be in mid air right now?

Ok I got my 40# more of live rock from live rocks.com, they look great!
After I put the last rock in the tank i looked at the bottom of the bag and there where 2 brittle stars so I am very happy with that, also a mantis shrimp running around the bottom he now has a new home in the toilet glad he wasnt in the rocks.

divemasterjim said:
he now has a new home in the toilet
Make sure to keep an eye out for him everytime you "visit".

Caught my mantis the other day. He made a mistake by jumping into a smaller rock. I had that rock out of there is 2 seconds!

I took the rock and put it in a bucket. I quickly drained some tank water out of the aquarium to a depth enough to cover the rock. Then, I just lifted the rock out of the water, then back in, then out, then in...after about 3 tries, he jumped for it!

Some sort of worm also made a break for it, but he went back in with the water.

The mantis is now living in a measuring cup beside the aquarium. He won't last long in there, but I don't have the heart to kill him. I've got a little 5 gallon which I may try to work into the system, but I don't think he'll make it to then.

I've spent many hours looking at the rock for LR.com. The longer you look, the more you'll see.

I recently had a friend over to look at the tank. He spend an hour or so fascinated by stuff before he realized..."hey, you've only got 2 fish in here!"

Back
Top Bottom