I have a clownfish host question and its ergent

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GT96

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 105 gallon reef tank with Gorgonians, an organ pipe, a leather, and a 1 foot tall colt and has "arms" or branches that are about 7 inches long. I have 2 yellow tailed damesels, 2 tomato clownfish, 1 percula clown fish, and a skunk clownfish. As you can tell I love clownfish ( mostly because I have never had one die before ) well I wana get a black percula soon but after that I am done with fish. Anyways...... My percula loved my colt it wouldnt leave in unless I fed him. Well then I get a skunk clown and it loves the colt too and it kicks the other one out of it and recently I have found nibbles out of the percula so I wana get another host for it so that they dont fight anymore. Well my question is, is that is there any corals/anemones that are pretty easy to keep that are possible hosts for my clownfish. Please write back soon. Thanks Bye

p.s. I know acouple host anemones- bubble, saddle, carpet, but I have heard the are very hard to keep and I dont wana spend 100.00 on a coral and then it die in a couple of days. If this isnt true please tell me and write back on anyother possible host corals/anemones that you may know of.

I would stay clear of anemones if I were you and stick with regular corals. Why not just add more colt corals if they all love them so much?

The problem is not the lack of available hosts. In fact, once a clown adopts a host it becomes more aggressive than without one. Instead of being a free swimming animal it now has a particular territory that must be defended. That combined with the multiple species of clowns is a double whammy. When younger, the different clown types will tollerate each other for a time but as they age this fighting will increase in ferocity to the point where they will eventually need to be seperated if they do not kill each other first.

I would no suggest adding the additional black perc and would also suggest you scale back the to just one species. Since the tomato clowns are already paired (?), I would opt for those and remove the rest. It may not seem like it now but this problem will not go away. It will only get worse...

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom