I have a killer peppermint shrimp and its holding eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reefbound

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok I have a Peppermint shrimp killing my hermits caught it red handed,I been finding little carcasses all over the tank and it's carrying eggs on its underside well they look like eggs anyway.
If there is a male in there? and if they are fertilized what should they be fed and will my Blue Mandarin take a liking to them?(hopefully)

dianeww said:
I never heard of a killer peppermint shrimp! I thought they were always quite peaceful!

I heard the same thing, If I did not see it with my own two eyes I say your crazy... Maybe its because she is loaded with eggs?

I had a peppermint shrimp that used to attack my snails. It would have it's ass handed to it if it tried attacking my killer crabs, though.

Just an update, Now I have three Peppermint shrimp with eggs...If these eggs hatch will the Mandarin eat them???

Not sure if they will be eaten, but in my nano I had my pep shrimp with eggs twice in a few weeks. They don't take long to hatch and when they do it is COOL little tiny tiny shrimp everywhere!!!!

I'm sure someone is going to dine a bit. Perhaps some will make it :D and you'll have some new additions to the tank.

Jim

my peppermints used to harrass certian corals and my friend had the same problem, they WERE NOT camel shrimp. I have heard mixed opinions about them, my other friend has no problems with hers and she is raising babies in her fuge

Not sure, but I can say this....I noticed the eggs and about 10 days later there were little shrimp everywhere. The second time was about the same. I'd guess about 2 weeks........just a guess though.......it certainly wasn't very long.

I had a nano, so I could see the little guys everywhere when they hatched......very cool to see.

JamesR said:
Not sure, but I can say this....I noticed the eggs and about 10 days later there were little shrimp everywhere. The second time was about the same. I'd guess about 2 weeks........just a guess though.......it certainly wasn't very long.

I had a nano, so I could see the little guys everywhere when they hatched......very cool to see.

Thanks, its been about 5 days now...just wondering when my tank will be filled with Peppermint shrimp... anyone now how many eggs they produce on average... then I can x's that by 3...

i really won't worry about it, peppermint atk ur snails...could be either the snail is dead or very sick and close to its end.And for the baby shrimps...they are quite hard to grow to some acceptable size which that will eat something as big as snails unless u have a 200-300g tank which they can hind in the rocks and u never going to be able to catch them.If u only have some wat around 70-90g it shouldn't be a hard time to catch them and before they grow up, ur fish probly will consume most of them anyways. So don't worry about it.

the young shrimp will not survive without specialized equipment and foods. they will be eaten by whatever livestock you currently have. mine have bred at least 4 times since i got them, and the babies are always eaten by the other animals.

~mike

Back
Top Bottom