I have an idea..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KeeperOfFish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm moving in about a month and I've been worried for a long time about how I'm gonna get my saltwater biocube moved with out my fish dying and other things damaged and the tanks cycled messed up, so I came up with an idea. I've wanted a bigger tank for a long time now and so I thought if I could get a bigger tank and have it set up at my new house since we already own it and my moms boyfriend already lives there, I get it set up and then just move my fish into the new tank. I found an ad on craigslist that looks like a good deal and comes with a lot of stuff. I've attached the ad. So tell me if you think this is a good or bad idea.

Attachments

• image-3781685591.jpg
    image-3781685591.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 72
I think that's the way to go if your looking to upgrade, not sure if when you set the whole thing up if it will need to cycle all over again if anything maybe a small cycle, just keep up on PWC and i think you will be good. Hope someone else chimes in and make sure you take a look in person at the setup from craigslist before making any buys and really liking it, maybe even testing the water to make sure everything is okay with the live rock

I was just worried about having to cycle it again, or by the time I get it set up again the tank will be all cloudy from the sand and my fish having to be stuck in a bucket for a couple days, and ya I really want to upgrade, and thanks that's a good idea about the testing the water didn't think of that. Thanks!

what size tank do you have now? how much more live rock will be added, if you want you can keep them in the buckets and keep powerheads on them to keep the water moving and add a little bit of live rock at a time over a week or so depending how much there is so you may not get as big of a spike of ammonia or restart of a cycle

And the sand should settle over a couple of hours 4 or 5 at least, enough for the fish to swim you wouldnt have to keep them in a bucket for a couple of days

VinnyP said:
what size tank do you have now? how much more live rock will be added, if you want you can keep them in the buckets and keep powerheads on them to keep the water moving and add a little bit of live rock at a time over a week or so depending how much there is so you may not get as big of a spike of ammonia or restart of a cycle

My tank is a 29 gallon biocube right now, when I first got it took forever for the sand to completely settle, and I don't know how much live rock the person has but right now I have about 15 lbs. I think.

with live rock the more the better for natural filtration, in a 55 gallon tank there is room for alot of live rock in there 50 plus lbs is a good amount and if you do that your def going to have a new cycle im pretty sure but i think if you add it slowly and keep up on PWC's you should be good, hopefully some on else will chime in who had dome something similar to this, good luck

Back
Top Bottom