I have crabs !!! now what?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joeyfromlawrenceville

Aquarium Advice Activist
really, i do have crabs, just got one called a blue knee crab, will it need a replacement shell at the ready? How does that work if so? Just buy a bigger shell and toss it in?

I also have some astria snails in there, they don't need new shells do they? Also have bumble bee snail???

And finally , I am sure my fire shrimp got a hold of my blue knee crabs leg and ate part of it, I found some of the remains, the crab is moving around fine, even climbing on rock, will it be able to regrow it's leg? just curious.

Yes I am a NEWBEE.....
thanks,:hat:

crabs do need new shells now and then and yes pretty much just buy a few and throw em in. snails grow their shells so they dont need newones. im guessing that the part of your crab that the shrimp was munchin on was a molt from the crab, thats how they get bigger.

I agree. It;s not really the size of the shell but the size of the hole. Get a few empty shells that are a little bigger but make sure the holes are larger than the one the hermit is currently in. Bumblebees will eat other snails...by the way. I found out the hard way.

so you have a 3 gallon reef?? did i read that right "3 gal Pico reef, what all is in there just some LR and inverts

so you have a 3 gallon reef?? did i read that right "3 gal Pico reef, what all is in there just some LR and inverts

I do have the 3 gal Picotope and I love it. I have one Fire shrimp, two snails ,one blue knee crab and corals.
Corals: orange zoa's, brownish purple zoas, star polyps , green buttons, some type of feather duster as a bonus on my LR and one on a a piece of lime green Zoas, oh ! and a Xenia. If I have all that spelled correctly it will be amazing.

I love the 3 gal size, I have however about ran out of room, I will be building a 24 gal nano reef this winter most likely. I will need to move things to it once they are to large for the 3.

Back
Top Bottom