i have MTS baaaaad....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nodoubt471

Aquarium Advice Freak
so its finially set in, i couldnt be content with my 44, had to set up another, and now im itching for even more!!!

so i was thinking for my next tank, since space is limited, about doing a 5g biotype for either a lettuce sea slug (elysia crispata, formerly Tridachia crispata). after some research, i determined the best food source for them is bryopsis (hair algae). since they utilize photosynthesis also, i plan on having a coralife mini PC 2x9w, 1 daylight 1 actinic. (the reason i would use this fixture is because i have it). if you guys think this is insufficient, i could make a diy 70w MH pendant if i have to.

another inhabitant i was considering if things with the lettuce sea slug fall through was a Berghia nudibranch (Berghia verrucicornis), which feeds on apistasia. since these nudis do not employ photosynthesis, i could defnintly get away with the coralife mini PC.

this would be a species only tank, just in case you were wondering. if anybody has any experience, ideas, or feedback, please contribute!!

TIA

no experence with either, but I do know that they require near perfect water conditions to stay alive. This would be near impossible to maintain in a 5 gallon tank.

i have an extra 20g, do you think it would be a better idea to use that? i have experience with small tanks, i know what they entail, and i thought it would be a better environment for the nudi/seaslug because they can get easily overwhelmed in a large environment.

again though, would the coralife pc be enough light for a healthy level of photosynthesis?

a 20 gallon would be much better, you would also be able to support a larger diversity of life.

I hope the Coralife pc kit will work, I am getting one myself!!! :p

What happens when the food source, hair algae or aiptasia runs out? The nudi's will slowly starve and die.

well thats why i would have a seperate tank for culture of the food source. dont worry i dont plan on starving anybody! plus im sure theres plenty of aquariasts in my area with hair algae and apistasia i could hijack in an emergency lol

Back
Top Bottom