I have my first tank and I will not fail! Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stiffy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've always wanted a salt water tank, but new it would be a lot of work.however, I took the plunge! I wasn't aware how much it would cost me! Right now I am unemployed, and perhaps salt water was not my way to go! I got a 30 gal tank, a stand, a filter, plants, fake coral (cant afford the proper lighting for real!) live sand, salt, 30 gal of distilled water, a back drop, and a salinity monitor! I thought I was all set. I got 9.5 lbs of live rock, 15 hermit crabs, and a test kit. I went back to my pet store because I have the pleasure of the fish guru! I went back and got 15 more hermit crabs, and 8 more lbs of live rock. I wasn't satisfied! So, after I got the rock in my tank and I started to acclimate my crabs, I went back. I got the other 12.5 lbs of live rock I needed. So as it stands, I have a beautiful set up with 30 lbs of live rock, live sand, and 30 hermit crabs. if all my tests are okay, I am going to get 30 snails (the ones that shift sand, I forgot their names!) and 15 turbo snails. Oh, I also got the pro heat heater with built in digital thermometer, very nice. I think I am on the right track, but I have spent almost $700 which I really can't afford, so I can't fail. Especially since I am so excited! I wanted to buy my son a fish, but ended up pleasing him and finding a really great hobby for me! What's my next step anyone? I know I am missing something!! help me succeed! I want to be experienced and able to past my wisdom on in the future to newbies like myself!

Re: I just got my tank on Thursday, and I will not fail!!! H

I would really stress the fact that you really want to allow a cycle to take place on your tank before you do anything else. While the live rock will help you don't want to start too quickly otherwise disaster is never far behind. 30 gallons while workable as a SW tank will always require close checks for water quality.

Crabs are fairly hardy but many fish are not so. Take your time, I know it's exciting, but if there is one thing I have learned over the years is that patience pays off in this hobby.

sounds like a great start, but you may see many of your crabs and snails perish because they were added so soon.

You need to give your tank time to complete the nitrogen cycle before adding any critters. you can read about it here

then after you test and have no ammonia and nitrite, you can start adding animals slowly to allow time for the bacteria population to grow accordingly to the bioload.

other than that, welcome to AA and to a really cool hobby!!

good luck,
Ryan

Thank you guys so much! I really appreciate the advice and will take it! I wish I could afford a bigger tank, but unfortunately I don't have the funds! One day though! Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom