I have red smile on sand what's best way to get rid of it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hardridge

Aquarium Advice Freak
As anyone used evolution LEDs? Also I have red smile on sand what's best way to get rid of it. Water is normal both in tank and ro/DI unit

Red Slime (or smile if you will) Remover worked for me with one dose. I've never seen it again in my tank...

ChemiCleanRedSlimeRemover@IA.jpg

+1 to chemiclean red slime remover, I just used it a week ago and removed all red slime in less than two days, I have zoa's , acropora, montipora, mushrooms, cleaner shrimp, macro algae , and an anemone. None seemed affected. Did the 20% water change after 48hrs and everything has been fine.

I had read in a few places that most red slime removers contain antibacterial agents that can harm the beneficial bacteria we cycle for. Those who have used this product: did you notice any change in ammonia/nitrites, etc? If not... well, *heck* I'm gonna get some. LOL

Last edited:
MacDracor said:
I had read in a few places that most red slime removers contain antibacterial agents that can harm the beneficial bacteria we cycle for. Those who have used this product: did you notice any change in ammonia/nitrites, etc? If not... well, heck. I'm gonna get some. LOL

I've used in once and didn't have any ammonia/trate shift. I was watching it like a hawk too because I was nervous about it as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
no harm to anything in my tank. Your skimmer goes nuts for a couple of days so you have to really watch the cup but other than that it just killed the red slime good...

Checked parameters before the water change (48hrs after dosing the tank) and nothing was out of wack. I also just checked again today about 3 days after the 48hrs check and still everything good. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 0 nitrate, and PH 8.2. One thing is you cant run the skimmer for a few days, b/c it makes too many bubbles, but I suppose this is common when you dose the tank with most chemicals.

I've read somewhere around here that the active ingredient in this stuff is a low dose of tetracycline, So info on how that affects your tank may be useful in what to expect in a extreme case, but as I stated I have had no noticible side effects yet ::crosses fingers::

Back
Top Bottom