i have to steam vacuum my appartment, is this a problem?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeymourJives

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hello all! i have registered here a long time ago and it's been a moment. i have a slight dillema, though i'm not too concerned i figured i would ask for other opinions on the matter.

i just moved in with my girlfriend, and she just got rid of two of her cats. i am allergic to cats, and we have cleaned up the appartment to the extreme, even with a vacuum cleaner with an anti-allergy HEPA air filter.

unfortunately, i am having a lot of problems with my asthma and there must be some dander left over that we just cannot get rid of. we are going to clean her mattress today and possibly just get rid of a perfectly good couch (darn it!)

we are wanting to steam vacuum, and i have a 37 gallon well established reef tank and a 12 gallon mantis shrimp tank. so here is my question finally: is steam vacuuming going to cause problems with my aquariums? should i put some sort of drape or cover over them to be on the safe side? we are definitely moving furniture, but there is probably no way in we are going to disassemble these tanks to steam vacuum, we are going to have to either go around them or just not touch the area surrounding them.

again like i said, i'm not too worried about it, but some second opinions would be nice!!

thanks!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have steam cleaned my carpets quite a few times with no ill effects.

I'm not a saltie but I've steam cleaned mine as well with no side effects. I have a 10g at the bottom of my stand and its only 6" off the ground, still had no problems. Plants and fishies are fine, years later.

Back
Top Bottom