I have two questions for everyone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LoveLEE143

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Has anyone had a Huma Huma trigger or any other trigger commit suicide? Mine did, from what I can detect he was moving some of my live rocks as usual. He must have moved the wrong rock and caused and avalanche and crushed himself. It is normal for him move my aquaculture every once and a while. I came home one night and saw that some of the live rock had been toppled over. I thought nothing of this, I was going to restructure everything on the weekend. I came home the next night. My tank was cloudy I looked in the tank and saw two fish dead and the others breathing hard. I immediately called my LFS they told me to do a major water change and add 5 times the amount of Prime. I did not see the Huma Huma so I moved the rocks and he was under them crushed and deacing. The fish lived for another three hours then they were all dead. This angered me greatly. He wiped out my whole system. Has this happened to anyone else?

Second question, I bought a hairy legged crab on Friday for the 75 gallon. Saturday he pulled a snail off the glass flipped him upside down and then filled his shell with sand. Then on Sunday night I saw him dig the sand out the pulled the snail out oh the shell and proceeded to eat him. The crabs shell is about 3-4 inches in diameter, the turbos was about 1-2 inches. I have attached pictures of it. Is this normal?

Attachments

• dsc00597.jpg
    dsc00597.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 55
  • dsc00598.jpg
    dsc00598.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 60
thats what those large crabs will do.. If you want to keep snails and small crabs you may want to get rid of the large crab.

Sounds like you had an ammonia spike with the dead fish... sorry to hear about the loss.

LoveLEE143 said:
Second question, I bought a hairy legged crab on Friday for the 75 gallon. Saturday he pulled a snail off the glass flipped him upside down and then filled his shell with sand. Then on Sunday night I saw him dig the sand out the pulled the snail out oh the shell and proceeded to eat him. The crabs shell is about 3-4 inches in diameter, the turbos was about 1-2 inches. I have attached pictures of it. Is this normal?

If there aren't extra empty shells laying on the substrate, crabs will go after the biggest snail they can find for its shell, especially if it still has alot of growing to do. If there are extra shells, then you probably have an aggressive crab by nature. Experiences like these tend to get people to have cleanup crew soley based on snails. Luckily my crabs are full grown and havent changed shells for the past few months

Has anyone had a Huma Huma trigger or any other trigger commit suicide? Mine did, from what I can detect he was moving some of my live rocks as usual. He must have moved the wrong rock and caused and avalanche and crushed himself
Hmm, how long did you have him? What was your water quality reading?

I had the Huma Huma for about 6 months. There were about three rocks on top of him and he was clearly impaled by the rocks. The water reading was horrible by the time all of the fish had died and I checked the water the next day. The water smelled horrible. I check my water parameters every Sunday between Family Guy and Entourage. The water parameter were all normal before that.

The crabs shell was clearly bigger than the snails shell. by an inch or two. After he fully pulled the snail out and ate all he wanted he then buried the shell in the sand.

Back
Top Bottom