Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-15-2010, 03:42 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I jumped the gun.

The what I thought was a 150g tank is getting setup as we speak. By that, I mean the person 'i got it from lied, but it's to my advantage, it's a 180g tank. Measurements are 72x24x24. I wanted to wait, but as an impulse buyer, that all changed yesterday. Took a trip to get some more snails and I seen a powder brown and a regal blue tang. Both were only 2 inches in length, when I asked the owner to make an offer I couldn't refuse. She said "I'll take $35 for both of 'em" At that point, after filling my pants, I said bag 'em up and bag up 5 trochus snails while your at it. I paid for 'em and ran out the door before she could change her mind. My car left a trail of fire all the way home. So now I am forced to fire up the pond on a stand. Got the guys in the qt, and fed them yesterday, both ate very well and show no signs of any problems. But, a little month long trip through hyposalinity will make sure. Great story huh?

Anyway, I have the sand and water in. So, now comes the rock question. Is 200lbs of dense rock that doesn't make a solid wall as good as very light rock that does, as far as bio filtration goes? I don't want a solid wall of rock, I want to make 3 islands in a C-shaped patern. Also, they had differnet colored sea slugs that I thought looked cool, but I want your guys opinion on have them or not.

Old 03-15-2010, 05:29 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wow lucky you $35!! Glad to hear you have a QT! Those islands sound good. I would stay away from sea slugs for now. BTW add your tangs one at a time so you don't overload the bio-load.

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Mitchell0605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 06:03 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to jcarlilesiu
Congrats on both of the great finds.

I just set up a 150 gallon. I intended on getting 200 pounds of rock, but after 160 pounds, I think I am about done. Maybe 20 pounds more.

I purchased cultured rock which is very heavy for its mass, but I also purchased quite a bit of Bali rock which is very light for its mass. Because of the bali rock, with the amount of surface area it has, I think that it skews the 1.5 pounds per gallon rule. The Bali rock probably has 4 times the surface area as the cultured stone simply because it is all coral skeletons and the shape has a ton of surface area.

Thus, your question, is dense rock ok as far as bio-filtration goes... I think you are looking at it the wrong way. It isn't the density that matters, but the surface area for bacteria to grow on. I could put a 8" concrete block in the tank, which is very heavy, but doesn't have as much surface area as figi and thus wouldn't get as much biological filtration.

Point being, it isn't the density or weight, its the surface area. By reducing surface area, in order to avoid a large rock wall, can't be made up in density.
jcarlilesiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 06:20 PM   #4
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

My question is why do hypo. If they have ich then I understand but I would observe them in the QT and then see if they have ich. I`m one that believes you only treat if you know they have something.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:24 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Number one, how often do you get $80 worth of fish for half off?
Number two, that ounce of prevention thing, why not make sure to kill the parasite whetther it's there or not?
Number three, that will be their home till the biggun is up and going and my firefish and wrasse are situated in there. Don't worry, the tangs have two 5" tee's to hide in and have room to move about.

That's why I asked about the rock, I do not want a solid wall, I'm not knocking the wall look by any means, I just like a more open tank. Plus, the sump will have rock in it as well. So that may compensate some.

I thought about getting 100 lbs of base rock, and letting the rock in my 75g just dry out(cyano is present in the 75g) and then placing it in the big tank(62 lbs.) And getting 40 lbs of real live rock. So that would be a total of 202 lbs of rock.

And after all that and the diatoms and everything else, trying my hand at some mushrooms, then maybe a couple corals. But, that's after the tank is running for at least a year.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:39 PM   #6
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg85 View Post
Number two, that ounce of prevention thing, why not make sure to kill the parasite whetther it's there or not?
The reason is that when doing any kind of treatment there is a stress factor involved. If you have to treat then you have to but not if there is nothing wrong. I dont see the logic.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:57 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58 View Post
The reason is that when doing any kind of treatment there is a stress factor involved. If you have to treat then you have to but not if there is nothing wrong. I dont see the logic.
I remember reading somebody comparing it to giving somebody Chemo not knowing if they even have cancer.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:31 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ouch that'd be nasty.

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Mitchell0605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 07:49 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Oh, I thought that hypo didn't harm the fish? Well then, I'll give 'em a month or two and if nothing happens, in the big tank they go. They both have excellent color and eat very well plus their poop looks like what fish poop should. Hven'e seen any worms, fin rot, de-scaling, heavy breathing, or even riding the glass up and down.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:18 AM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg85 View Post
Oh, I thought that hypo didn't harm the fish? Well then, I'll give 'em a month or two and if nothing happens, in the big tank they go. They both have excellent color and eat very well plus their poop looks like what fish poop should. Hven'e seen any worms, fin rot, de-scaling, heavy breathing, or even riding the glass up and down.
When done properly/slowly, hyposalinity is said to be the least stressful in comparison to copper etc.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com