i just bought and overflow box...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smonkey15

Aquarium Advice Freak
from marinedepot.com. since the bulkheads on the box going to the sump are threaded, it says in the instructions you can use an optional flexible hose adapter but it wasn't included with the box. is this something i can buy at home depot or something where they sell the clear flexible tubing? or where do i get these adapters? i want to use flexible tubing until my tank is in a more permanent position and then i will switch over to pvc. any advice? thanks
steve

Sounds like you bought a CPR overflow as that is the same exact thing my instructions said.

Yes you can buy clear flexible tubing at any hardware store. The stuff I bought had thread running through it so it wasn't so flexible, but it worked well enough. I then used one of those "ring clamps" that you use a screwdriver to tighten, to attach the thing to the bulkhead.

BTW, you can use PVC, but I wouldn't recommend it. You will have to glue the PVC to the bulkhead and that will make it a, more or less, permanent installation.

yea i did buy a cpr overflow. when you say thread do you mean the clear tubing was threaded to screw on the bulkhead, or threads running through the plastic to strengthen it? did you just put the plastic tubing over the threaded bulkhead and clamped it? and it is a tight enough seal so it wont leak? i guess my problem is that the bulkhead is much bigger than the actual hole, so in order to fit the plastic tubing around it i would need at least 1.5" tubing since i bought the 1400 gph box with two 1" drain holes. do they even make it that big? thanks
steve

when you say thread do you mean the clear tubing was threaded to screw on the bulkhead, or threads running through the plastic to strengthen it?

There was thread running through the pipe to give it more strength. It is not as flexible this way, but it still bends enough so it is semi-flexible.

did you just put the plastic tubing over the threaded bulkhead and clamped it? and it is a tight enough seal so it wont leak?

Yep, pretty much. It was real tough to get that tube over the bulkhead. It took two of us. Like I said, that tube is only semi-flexible and it didn't want to budge much when we were trying to slip it on. I then used a clamp to make sure it didn't slip off, but like I said, it was hard enough to get on. I couldn't imagine it ever coming off without force.

Here is a picture I just took to show you what I did. I donut know what is up with the salt creep around the bulkhead. It doesn't leak at all. But once a week I have to clean up the salt creep. (I am going to do it as soon as I post this.) I guess that is why they call it salt "creep", though. It finds its way into everything.

Like I said, you could use PVC and glue that sucker on there, but if you ever want to move it, you will have to purchase a new bulkhead for the overflow.

Oh, and no I don't have a flamingo in the tank. It is a reflection off of a novelty behind the tank...

Wise guys...

:D

I was gonna say dude, your coralline algae is growing in the shape of a flamingo.

Smonkey15 said:
from marinedepot.com. since the bulkheads on the box going to the sump are threaded, it says in the instructions you can use an optional flexible hose adapter but it wasn't included with the box. is this something i can buy at home depot or something where they sell the clear flexible tubing? or where do i get these adapters? i want to use flexible tubing until my tank is in a more permanent position and then i will switch over to pvc. any advice? thanks
steve
Smonkey,
I think what you need is a hose barb fitting of whatever size the bulkhead is (1" maybe?). This is threaded one end and pushes on to the right size clear tubing the other end. Secure the hose with a hose clamp.
Yes, you can get these from HD or Lowes but you usually have to look hard for them (and don't even bother asking someone in the store, they'll probably think you need a haircut (barb......er??).

Back
Top Bottom