Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-27-2012, 05:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

i just cant seem to get it right!!! HELP!!!

well i dont really know what my problem is... i stressing insted of enjoying this hobbie...

ok so i got a 125g aquarium
about 170lbs of rock
2 clownfish
1 yellow tank
1 firefish
1 damsel

aquaneon proflex sump 3
Reef Octopus 6" NWB-150
Supreme Classic Mag Drive Pump (i believe its an md7)
and a cpr overflow.

the thing is my nitrates are at about 40 ppm and everything else it at normal. ph at 8.2 amonia and nitrite 0. and i do what changes and all and i cant seem to bring them down... as for water i use water from the glacier vending machine since i dont have a ro/di unit.

ived recently finished a batle with green hair algae and recently added some medication for red slime algea.. now its all gone... i did a 25% water change yesterday and it was all god and gone by now.

now today i go and turn on my skimmer and its going all crazy on me...

2nd. my skimer and pump dont fit inside the sump to i have it externaly connected with a vynil tubbing... so today when i turned on the skimmer some how the. pump started bien wierd and catching air. then it went back to normal... but the water level on my sumo whent up insted of down.

lastly. the water the cpr sucks down does not seem to be alot and it seems weak.. im getting so frstratd about this.. idk what to do...

should i just build a bigger sump so the pump can fit inside the sump inted of outside? if so what size sump should it be?

2nd. its it normal for the skimmer to go all crazy? how do i get it back to normal?

and also how can i lower my nitrateS?

Old 08-27-2012, 07:15 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elchakas
well i dont really know what my problem is... i stressing insted of enjoying this hobbie...

about 170lbs of rock
2 clownfish
1 yellow tank
1 firefish
1 damsel

aquaneon proflex sump 3
Reef Octopus 6" NWB-150
and a cpr overflow.

the thing is my nitrates are at about 40 ppm and everything else it at normal. ph at 8.2 amonia and nitrite 0. and i do what changes and all and i cant seem to bring them down... as for water i use water from the glacier vending machine since i dont have a ro/di unit.

ived recently finished a batle with green hair algae and recently added some medication for red slime algea.. now its all gone... i did a 25% water change yesterday and it was all god and gone by now.

2nd. my skimer and pump dont fit inside the sump to i have it externaly connected with a vynil tubbing... so today when i turned on the skimmer some how the. pump started bien wierd and catching air. then it went back to normal... but the water level on my sumo whent up insted of down.

lastly. the water the cpr sucks down does not seem to be alot and it seems weak.. im getting so frstratd about this.. idk what to do...

should i just build a bigger sump so the pump can fit inside the sump inted of outside? if so what size sump should it be?

2nd. its it normal for the skimmer to go all crazy? how do i get it back to normal?

Ever check your source water for nitrates stores often dont change their filters like their supposed to

Old 08-27-2012, 07:16 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

about 170lbs of rock
2 clownfish
1 yellow tank
1 firefish
1 damsel

aquaneon proflex sump 3
Reef Octopus 6" NWB-150
and a cpr overflow.

Skimmer went crazy cause of the stuff you put in for red slime
Old 08-27-2012, 08:00 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

mm no never checked it b4.. i will do that... and how long does it take to go back to normal?
Old 08-27-2012, 08:11 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
mm no never checked it b4.. i will do that... and how long does it take to go back to normal?
Skimmer will pull that slime remover out then go back normal day or two id say and ya you may be adding nitrates from the source water instead of taking out stores really dont care about filter changes most people use that for drinkin water and such in that case its ok but for reefers like us its sometimes not good that be my first guess
Old 08-27-2012, 08:32 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

You got a point there... what would b a good ro/di unit i could buy thats not exensive?.. i saw some on amazon for like $150.. any experiance on those?... and well how does a ro/di unit work?.. were do u hook.it up.too?
Old 08-27-2012, 09:18 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
You got a point there... what would b a good ro/di unit i could buy thats not exensive?.. i saw some on amazon for like $150.. any experiance on those?... and well how does a ro/di unit work?.. were do u hook.it up.too?
I bought mine from i think pet solutions or dr foster and smith coralife 4 stage i paid about 150ish how it works is itll go thru a poly filter then thru carbon filter then thru di to polish it off what youll get is water stripped from any and everything easy to hook up you can install on a faucet or you can tap into your copper waterline for permanent install only run cold water thru it itll pay for itself saving time and gas goin to store and save headache cause you know youll have good water id definately reccommend 4 stage filter
Old 08-27-2012, 10:25 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

yeah im really looking into getting one im tired of all these water quality problems... how many gallons per hours does it give you?
Old 08-28-2012, 12:13 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
yeah im really looking into getting one im tired of all these water quality problems... how many gallons per hours does it give you?
Mine is 50 /gpd
Old 08-28-2012, 01:10 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

thats perty good... do u run it 24/7? or how does it work?? were do u have it hooked up to?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com