i know i wiil add a tang which

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alrmc4

Aquarium Advice Addict
tang is the question think there is anyway i could get away with a purple and a different shaped one like a powder blue for a 75? once again i can not make up my mind :? so whats new!

I know there are a few people that have had success with multiple tangs in a 75g aquarium, but I don't recommend it. I wouldn't recommend you try a powder blue in anything less than a 6ft tank, they are very powerful swimmers that cruise the tops of the coral reefs in nature racking up the miles. For 4ft tanks I wouldn't recommend anything but zebrasoma tangs. And only 1 per tank, JMO.

I have had great sucess with purple tangs, they seem to be hardier then the powder blues. I never had two at the same time however. They are different shapes, so I do not think they will fight. The biggest question is tank space, do you have any other fish?

ok top 2 tangs on wish list as of 556 changes by the min. chevron tang and purple other fish in tank to be bicolor blenny and pair of clowns maybe watchman goby not sure yet would give up the goby.that is pretty much all i want to add that is why i want the color want it to be not to heavily fish stocked. thanks.

pic i have seen is red and purple same pic for adult as juv i will do a search and see if i can find a pic if we don't like that the hippo will be the second choice thanks for the heads up.

I have to agree with reefrunner, on this one. If you choose any tang for a 75, you should select one of the Zebrasoma genus (excluding the sailfins), or the Yellow eye tang (C. strigosus). Also keep in mind that purple and scopas tangs are notorious for becoming extremely defensive of their tank once established. Hippo tangs are large, active fish and definitely not a good choice. Mine has gone from the size of a quarter to over four inches in just under two years. Looking at him now hes beginning to make my 180 look small, and I regret purchasing him. A final thing to think about is that surgeonfish need a varied diet including large amounts of vegetable based grazing matter daily (seaweeds, macroalgaes etc.) and can put quite a large bioload on a tank with the addition of these foods. Please reconsider adding two tangs, it is really just not large enough IMO, and their is a huge variety of interesting, colorful fish that are better suited to a tank that size. :D

ok thank you all very much! I bow to your experience and 1 tang it will be now if google served me right then my coveted purple tang falls into the zebrasoma family and i will be happy with that :D

Back
Top Bottom