Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-01-2005, 05:31 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
I live near the sea - willt his help a s/w

I live rite on the coast, I can walk to the sea within 15 mins. Any way are there any benefits of this if I had a saltwater tank?

I.e. seaweed lol or other stuff on rocks etc .......

Steven A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 07:05 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via MSN to mjvincent
I wouldn't, you never know what you will be introducing to the tank (i.e. disease, chemical contamination etc).

Mike Jones
32 gallon hex, 34 lbs lr, Prizm protein skimmer, fluval 104, 1 maxi jet 750, 1 maxi jet 1200 ph, current 40w 50/50 pc, 1 NO powerglo 19watt, 1 daylight NO 65w (equiv), two damsels, 1 green brittlestar, 1 peppermint shrimp, turbo snails, red legged hermit crabs, kenyan tree coral, leather coral, pumping xenia, mushroom coral, green star polyps, orange button polyps
mjvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 10:20 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular
If you want to add shells, inverts, and other stuff to your show tank, you can start a simple quarantine tank and try out all your stuff in there for a few weeks first.
39 gallon (2yrs) 40lbs live sand. 23 lbs LR (still collecting) , 1 turbo snail, 5 Nasarius snails, 10 blue knuckle hermits, 1 zebra hermit, 1 scarlet hermit, 5 red tip hermits, 1 Green Chromis, 1 Blue Damsel, ? Ricordia, candy cane coral.

135gallon (2 months)
125lbs live sand, 100lbs live rock, 2 175W Metal Halide, 1 175W VHO Actinic (so far). Berlin Protein Skimmer in 40 Gallon Sump. 2 Maxi Jet 1200's. 10 Nassarius, 10 mexican turbos, 10 astreas, 20 Blue Leg Hermits, 20 Scarlet Hermits, 5 Emerald crabs, 5 peppermint shrimp. 1 Copper Band butterfly, 2 False Perculas, 1 Javanese Damsel.
StrongBad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 04:49 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I would stick with the synthetic salt mixes. MJ is right, you never know what you might be introducing into your tank. The Conscientious Marine Aquarist book has an interesting section on this debate.
AndyH5512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 05:32 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Not to mention that some places (depending on the city/country) dump waste into the waters right off the coast. Sick, I know. I wouldn't take anything from local waters, unless you QT for a looooong time. Just my opinion.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote

live, sea

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com