I lost a razor blade in my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
just get a mag float, drill a hole in it, and tie it to a stick (unless you were already using a super powerful chuck norris like magnet)... the way those magnets are, you'll probably have it jump out of the tank at you

Yeah the one in the pic above is from an old-school mag scraper. If you've been around long enough, you remember the ones that had magnets in a plastic tub that slid into a housing, then you took one of those double-sided razor blades and snapped it in half and put one on each side of one of the tubs, so that the blades were perpendicular to the glass? That's what this one came out of. I don't know if a magfloat would be that much better

This one has to get within about 1" of the blade to attract it. So far, I've stuck it everywhere in the tank I could get to. It must have slipped in a crack or under one of the base rocks.

I think a magfloat I would not be able to get into the nooks and crannies like I can with this one anyways...

Go to a hardware store, there are small magnets on telescoping handles for the purpose of inspection. You could fit one of those in most of those nooks and crannies and dig in the substrate with it. Something similar to this:

TeleMag 3 lb. Capacity Pick-Up Tool

Hey Floyd, you should try the mag on one of the new razor blades to be sure that they will attach.

Magnets will not stick to good quality stainless steel. Just some food for thought.

Didn't think about that, stainless is non-ferrous so no magnet will grab it. That being said, most razors, knifes, etc... are just plated. Only way to know would be to check one you have laying around as Boiler Reef mentioned.

Oh I tested it. I had to know exactly how far away I had to be before the magnet would actually grab the blade. The other thing I found out is that the blade actually gets pushed away a little bit before getting sucked in, depending on the orientation of the magnet.

Back
Top Bottom