Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-18-2011, 07:42 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

I lost a razor blade in my tank

Today I was fragging some xenia and anthelia for someone and dropped a razor blade into the tank. 4 people there an no one saw it happen. Can't find it.

It's gold colored and titanium coated. I got a magnet from an old algae scraper and I'm going to attach it to a stick and go fishing.

If I can't find it, what the #$Q@%$ do I do, tear the tank apart???

Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 07:46 PM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

My only problem is what if the fish flashes there. It could get cut and you might also.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 07:48 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Yeah you need to get that thing out. You could cut your finger open sometime, a fish could get injured too. Magnets are probably the best idea to find it.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:50 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree with the above post. I'm no expert, but it can't be good for the tank if that thing starts to rust..
Good luck finding it!! Let us know what happens.

~20 Gallon Community, ~5 Gallon Betta
mandy2936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:27 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

I not sure about this but couldn't the metal rusting cause some damage to the tank
Old 02-18-2011, 10:42 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

the rust might.. but yea, get that out quick..
Old 02-18-2011, 10:53 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah, a magnet should work. It is best for yours and the fishs' safety to get that the heck outta there, FAST! Good luck.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:10 PM   #8
is back to save the day!

lol.. are you guys kidding? Here, let me put this as simple as possible. A razor blade is a flat object, with a thickness of 0.30 mm. There's a one in a million chance that the razor blade fell facing upwards on the rocks, or the sandbed, or whatever. It MOST LIKELY fell FLAT on one of its sides. So unless it fell in a crevice, and the actual blade part is sticking out far enough from the rock, NOTHING is going to be getting cut by that thing. Common sense people. It is HIGHLY unlikely that a fish or even someone's hand is going to get cut by this razor blade.

Using the magnet like you first states Floyd, is most likely your best bet to finding it. I would also try using a flashlight or LED flashlight and shining it through the rocks and such to see if you see anything reflecting the light back to you.

Either way, the one sure fire thing is that if it isn't stainless steel, it will rust. And that's bad news. But the whole bit about it cutting up fish or your hands... Wow. Just no.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:19 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah, I shut the pump off, power heads off, took off the light fixture and had head over the tank w/LED flashlight for at least 20 minutes, not even a glimmer. I'm not even sure it's in there, but I don't know where else it could be. We looked on our shoes, under chairs, I took everything out of the area and searched each item before taking out, I looked near power heads (magnetic), in the overflow tower, moved rock in area that I thought it could be hiding, NOTHING. It had to have fallen in back. Here's a picture of the tank that I'm dealing with.

so I got a rectangular magnet out of a really, really old school algae scraper - one that used to use one of those double-sided razor blades that you snap in half, then insert the blades in so they're perpendicular to the glass - and zip-tied it to the end of a kiddie fishing pole. You're gonna laugh when you see pictures. I'm literally going to be fishing for a razor blade.

And I agree less worried about getting cut up. More worried about it rusting. It is "titanium coated" but I'm sure it's an alloy and that it will eventually rust.

Called my LFS and he said it might be OK, but it the softies start dying, that's the first sign.

I pray this works...
Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 11:31 PM   #10

Yikes... I didn't realize all the live rock you had in there! Good luck! I hope your fish are ok!

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com