Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-24-2003, 09:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to plkdb Send a message via MSN to plkdb Send a message via Yahoo to plkdb
I`m stickin to online retailers from now on.

I`m not really upset, just more dissapointed. Theres a fish store close to my work. I was really impressed by the livestock quality they had there, and the staff a husband and wife (met the husband, didnt meet the wife till today). The husband told me they would match any online price, and that his wife kept really up to date with all of the prices. My wife bought me a $50 gift certificate for their store for my bday. I went there and bought a 48" 9500k GE fluorescent light bulb. Their price was 20.99 seemed high, but I just figured i would peek around when I got home. Found it at Liveaquaria.com for 10.59, so I went back today. Had to go back anyways because the end prongs were completely destroyed on the one they sold me. Talked to the lady, finally walked out with a cash refund, but she made me feel like I was putting her out of business. She went on to tell me about how she thinks she provides a service and that she cant match every price out there, and how her rent is 1600 a month, and her electricity is 600 and all she had sold that day was 10 crickets, and a betta. How this was why she doesnt give cash refunds, to which I responded that a company check would be fine. She putzed around some more, complained some more, and handed me the cash back. I just walked out feeling horrible. I just kept telling myself that it wasnt my responsibility to keep them in business.

Old 09-24-2003, 09:24 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Ah ... gotta love good customer service.

Although I do understand the fact of *overhead*, they told you up front that they would match any online price. So .... too bad. Any LFS that says they'll match online pricing is going to put themselves out of business quick quickly.

IMO, that ranting was completely unprofessional on her part. Their return policy should be posted and clear - and they should abide by it, period.

Sorry you had such a cruddy experience!

ReefLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 09:26 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to possum Send a message via Yahoo to possum
Hey dont feel bad for them! If they wanna stay in business let em start having competetive prices. In this computer crazed era we live in the better do something quick or they will all be looking for a new job!
Old 09-24-2003, 09:32 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to plkdb Send a message via MSN to plkdb Send a message via Yahoo to plkdb
Their livestock looks greatand the prices seem reasonable, but their prices on dry goods seem really high. Even stupid stuff like slate or driftwood.
Old 09-24-2003, 09:40 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I can understand her not giving cash refunds. We don't give refunds either, just exchanges. However this is posted and is not something we hide.

The problem here is you were told one thing (by the husband) and then told another (by the wife). You should not feel bad. They simply need to get their policy straight or they will have tough times ahead.
Old 09-24-2003, 09:53 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

While I'm all for a poor LFS doing poorly, lets not bash too badly, if you don't support the good ones, they won't be there in the future, we will only be able to buy from the large chain outfits and online vendors. There is something special about a good LFS

And a small LFS cannot cmpete with MO or Online vendors.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 10:33 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

I know they cant compete with a company that has no storefront, just a warehouse, but if they say they will, they should. The problem is, this was looking up until now to be the best on in the local area.
Old 09-25-2003, 05:01 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to TriggerHappy Send a message via MSN to TriggerHappy Send a message via Yahoo to TriggerHappy
I guess all stores are different, I paid 700+ for a tank setup, then bought damsels, damsels died, they replaced them free. maybe cause of how much $$ I spent. oh well, sorry for your bad xperience

Tank Setup
Niger Trigger
Maroon Clown
BiColor Angel
P-H 8.2 Ammonia 0 Nitrite 0 Nitrate 10-15ppm
Crushed Coral 60lbs
1 MaxiJet 1200 PH, 1 ZooMed PH, XP2 Filstar

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's the best they're going to feel all day."
Dean Martin.
TriggerHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 09:40 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to alrmc4
to be fair to the lfs when comparing prices i always add the cost of shipping the lfs usually comes out pretty much on the mark unless i need bulk with a free shipping order.
http://www.shutterbugs-gallery.com/forum/portal.php
alrmc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 10:30 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to MACATUA Send a message via MSN to MACATUA Send a message via Yahoo to MACATUA
My LFS here in Tuscaloosa is my fave place to shop! First of all he is a good buddy. Second, when you consider I usually only need like one or tow fish at a time, then his livestock prices are very competitve, because of taking in the shipping. His tank prices are a little high, but we all know that is because he keeps 20 tanks in the store rather than 1000! As far as his drygoods go, he is a little high on somethings, and right on the money on most. But what amazes me is his live rock prices are very comparable to online. He is usually around $5 a lb, which after shipping from most places I have seen is very competitive. So, I just wanted to give my LFS some props. I know a lot of people hate their LFS, but mine is A OK!

Join the Alabama Regional Forum!
MACATUA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com