I’m torn...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lbannie

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi guys, haven’t been on here in a while. So I have a Red Sea Max 250(65 gallon) with upgraded Steve’s LEDs. I HATE them!! They are so noisy (fans/airflow) and I don’t like how low the tank sits...... But I do like the aio ease of the system.
Here’s my dilemma....I listed my tank for sale and had someone interested for only $600(LEDs were $800) he was looking at it and I realized I don’t want to NOT have a tank.
I was thinking of building a taller stand and canopy for the red Max (we like more rustic wood look) so the tank could be higher, and maybe hide the noise of the lights

But then, I was skimming the classifieds and came across an acrylic flat back hex 105 gallon tank! It’s a much taller not as deep tank(which I kinda like) but the stand and canopy is hideous. I’ve also never had acrylic and there are scratches (supposedly not seen when filled) The price is really great and it has sump and LEDs (not sure what kind yet)
I would want to build a different stand and canopy for this as well.

I’m not sure what Im asking here.....would you upgrade to the acrylic? Is it harder to keep clean? Better to have an actual sump instead of the aio red Max?
Any ideas?

Acrylic isn't hard to care for. A sump is never a bad idea, the more water column you have the easier it is to avoid issues. I know I have a large red sea max and don't have any problems with it either...but then again it came with AI Hydras rather than whatever LEDs you have.

Acrylic isn't hard to care for. A sump is never a bad idea, the more water column you have the easier it is to avoid issues. I know I have a large red sea max and don't have any problems with it either...but then again it came with AI Hydras rather than whatever LEDs you have.

Are the hydras quiet? I can’t stand the fans on my LEDs. I think I’m going to stick with glass. Now debating keeping the RSM 250 or upgrading to a 90 or 120 Reef Ready

Lots of LEDs in the market are quiet...they SHOULD be. They produce almost 0 heat. I don't know what you had, but there are even chinese knockoff panels you can get off of amazon and ebay for much cheaper that will be quiet.

Lots of LEDs in the market are quiet...they SHOULD be. They produce almost 0 heat. I don't know what you had, but there are even chinese knockoff panels you can get off of amazon and ebay for much cheaper that will be quiet.

They were Steve’s LEDs....nice lighting but constantly running fans. I hated them! That was most of the reason to sell the tank!

I sold my Red Sea Max.... and bought a 90 gallon reef ready! It’s coming with sump, skimmer, 2 led fixtures, vortech powerhead, rock, some fish...... sold the rsm for $600, buying new one for $900!! Good deal I think.
I miss having a big tank already. I’ve had a flu all evo 13.5 setup with my corals(only a few) and I put my 2 engineer gobies I couldn’t part with in there. I was thinking of just keeping the tiny tank.....nah can’t do it! Lol. I’ll have to update with pics.
Btw, are these decent lights?
Adjustments.jpg

Back
Top Bottom