Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-05-2011, 05:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

I may have a problem

I was cleaning my glass with my mag float and my glass thermometer got stuck to it and hit the glass and broke and all of the little metal balls in the bottom fell in my sand what should I do

Old 06-05-2011, 05:40 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Change as much water as possible. Clean all the metal balls out. Put in carbon and copper/heavy metal remover. You may want to do another 50% water change in 3 days or so. Unplug thermometer before putting hands in tank.

Old 06-05-2011, 05:42 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Use the magfloat to get the metal balls out. Clean up as much glass as possible
Old 06-05-2011, 06:58 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bige View Post
Change as much water as possible. Clean all the metal balls out. Put in carbon and copper/heavy metal remover. You may want to do another 50% water change in 3 days or so. Unplug thermometer before putting hands in tank.
I think it is just a thermometer, not a heater. Probably nothing to unplug. I used to leave mine float in the top, but had a snail grab on to it, and use its weight to drag the thermometer down to the bottom. Of course right onto a piece of LR, and broke a piece off. I didn't lose all the balls, just broke a piece of glass enough to get water in there so it wouldn't float anymore. I just took the thermometer out, scolded the snail and that was that.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:04 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nxb161 View Post
I think it is just a thermometer, not a heater. Probably nothing to unplug. I used to leave mine float in the top, but had a snail grab on to it, and use its weight to drag the thermometer down to the bottom. Of course right onto a piece of LR, and broke a piece off. I didn't lose all the balls, just broke a piece of glass enough to get water in there so it wouldn't float anymore. I just took the thermometer out, scolded the snail and that was that.
Do snails respond well to scolding? lol. I'd figure out what kind of metal the balls are made out of before I worried too much, but get them out anyways.

I run electrical appliances underwater and enjoy injecting things with Kalk filled syringes.
Sarcothelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:59 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

try and get everything out and run some heavy metal removers. i don't think there is to much harmful stuff in the thermometers for that reason as the glass ones are very sensitive and can easil be broken. thats why i usually use a digital. they may not be as accurate but all it is is a little thermal transister so nothing really there to damage
Old 06-05-2011, 11:20 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok I used the magfloat to remove the balls right after I posted this don't know why it took a few minutes for me to think of that lol couldn't find the glass but it was a pretty small piece so shouldn't hurt I hope
Old 06-05-2011, 11:29 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yea, you should be fine.

I run electrical appliances underwater and enjoy injecting things with Kalk filled syringes.
Sarcothelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:21 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I hope thanks for the responses
Old 06-06-2011, 12:31 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via Yahoo to George9
I've never heard of that happening!! That's so unlucky!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com