I might have a lead on a FREE 110H...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

j3rseyBoy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
...for my first saltwater tank. I've been running two smaller FW tanks for a year or so and my wife, of all people, thought we should get a big SW tank. So as I'm reading here, there, and eveywhere I can to learn about saltwater, I get a call from my little brother tonight saying that he might have found an entire SW setup that I could have for free.

Yes, that's right, for free. 8O

I'm still waiting on the full system details, but as near as I can tell it's probably a 110 high (48" x 18" x 30") that appears to be drilled. The whole package would include the tank, stand, sump, pumps, etc.

Believe me, I know exactly how lucky I might be here.

My question is, although I was planning to start a 75 or 90 as a FOWLR and eventually convert to a reef, are there any pitfalls with the higher tanks? Cleaning and aquascaping come to mind, as does getting sufficient light to the bottom.

Any help is appreciated since I'm a complete noob to SW.

Thanks.

I have a tall 150, Sometimes it's a strech to get to the bottom of the tank and I have LONG arms. :mrgreen: With a tank that size make sure you have plenty of water flow to all areas (something I lack right now). And of course get us some pictures. :mrgreen:

Also remember that if you are going to use a DSB or something similar, it can take up a lot of the space on the bottom and make a 30" tank more like a 24" tank. The other suggestion I have heard is to use PVC cuttings as Rock stands rather than putting them all the way into the sand. This can be just a sturdy and helps to expose more rock surface for bacteria to colonize. Good luck

I dont want to sound like im not excited for you cause I am. Its not offten folks come across large tanks that are FREE!!! But I can tell you that the 18" width you describe above is going to be a challenge when it comes to aquascaping anything other than a clif wall.

Good luck and please keep us updated as to how this deal works out.

fishfreek said:
But I can tell you that the 18" width you describe above is going to be a challenge when it comes to aquascaping anything other than a clif wall.
Thanks...that's exactly the kind of advice I was looking for. I was trying to do some careful planning for pumps, recirc, sump, etc. before this landed in my lap. Now, I'll just have to expedite things a bit---like the new carpets I promised the wife. "I'm sorry hon, but now that the tank is in place, it's too much work to tear it down for the carpet guys..." 8)

There are a LOT of aquariums with 18" widths (55, 75, 90, etc.), so what have people done besides a rock wall? I'm assuming that a two-sided wall is possible, but I'll probably need some kind of bridging structure to keep things interesting.

Does anyone out there own one of these tall 110's, or even a 90 that's 'scaped to the top? I'd like to see pictures of what people have done.

Thanks for all the help and keep the tips coming. I'll post updates as things progress. I feel like a 7-year-old about to go to his first Yankees game. :D

55g is actually 12-13". And its a pain to aquascape. I just gave up on the rule of not letting rock touch the glass in the back. The snails due a fine and dandy job.

Im sorry, I had a mind lapse. 18" is not to bad to aquascape. For some reason I thought that was the width of a 55 and 45H.

That's a bit of a relief...although the height still worries me. If there are pics around, I would love to see them.

I've got a slew of other questions, but I'll start slow and post separate threads.

Tor a tank that is 30"tall you will probably have to use mh lighting if you are going to do a reef. Until the time that you decide to go that way stick with what came with the tank. What type of lighting was it? could you also list the other equip as well. Just because I really want to feel bad that I had to pay for all my stuff :wink:

Back
Top Bottom