Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-17-2004, 09:55 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I might have a lead on a FREE 110H...

...for my first saltwater tank. I've been running two smaller FW tanks for a year or so and my wife, of all people, thought we should get a big SW tank. So as I'm reading here, there, and eveywhere I can to learn about saltwater, I get a call from my little brother tonight saying that he might have found an entire SW setup that I could have for free.

Yes, that's right, for free. 8O

I'm still waiting on the full system details, but as near as I can tell it's probably a 110 high (48" x 18" x 30") that appears to be drilled. The whole package would include the tank, stand, sump, pumps, etc.

Believe me, I know exactly how lucky I might be here.

My question is, although I was planning to start a 75 or 90 as a FOWLR and eventually convert to a reef, are there any pitfalls with the higher tanks? Cleaning and aquascaping come to mind, as does getting sufficient light to the bottom.

Any help is appreciated since I'm a complete noob to SW.

Thanks.

Old 11-17-2004, 10:13 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ya you might want to start with my 75g and give me the 110!!

Old 11-17-2004, 10:35 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have a tall 150, Sometimes it's a strech to get to the bottom of the tank and I have LONG arms. With a tank that size make sure you have plenty of water flow to all areas (something I lack right now). And of course get us some pictures.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 05:29 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Also remember that if you are going to use a DSB or something similar, it can take up a lot of the space on the bottom and make a 30" tank more like a 24" tank. The other suggestion I have heard is to use PVC cuttings as Rock stands rather than putting them all the way into the sand. This can be just a sturdy and helps to expose more rock surface for bacteria to colonize. Good luck
Old 11-18-2004, 07:11 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
I dont want to sound like im not excited for you cause I am. Its not offten folks come across large tanks that are FREE!!! But I can tell you that the 18" width you describe above is going to be a challenge when it comes to aquascaping anything other than a clif wall.

Good luck and please keep us updated as to how this deal works out.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 07:31 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I need some siblings.
Old 11-18-2004, 07:43 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfreek
But I can tell you that the 18" width you describe above is going to be a challenge when it comes to aquascaping anything other than a clif wall.
Thanks...that's exactly the kind of advice I was looking for. I was trying to do some careful planning for pumps, recirc, sump, etc. before this landed in my lap. Now, I'll just have to expedite things a bit---like the new carpets I promised the wife. "I'm sorry hon, but now that the tank is in place, it's too much work to tear it down for the carpet guys..." 8)

There are a LOT of aquariums with 18" widths (55, 75, 90, etc.), so what have people done besides a rock wall? I'm assuming that a two-sided wall is possible, but I'll probably need some kind of bridging structure to keep things interesting.

Does anyone out there own one of these tall 110's, or even a 90 that's 'scaped to the top? I'd like to see pictures of what people have done.

Thanks for all the help and keep the tips coming. I'll post updates as things progress. I feel like a 7-year-old about to go to his first Yankees game.
Old 11-18-2004, 09:49 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

55g is actually 12-13". And its a pain to aquascape. I just gave up on the rule of not letting rock touch the glass in the back. The snails due a fine and dandy job.

xenia, mushrooms, wels. open brain, fungia radiata (orange), green eyed zoos

flame angel, mated pair of false perc, 6-line, firefish

20gH electric yellow cichlid
theatrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 10:08 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Im sorry, I had a mind lapse. 18" is not to bad to aquascape. For some reason I thought that was the width of a 55 and 45H.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 11:11 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie

That's a bit of a relief...although the height still worries me. If there are pics around, I would love to see them.

I've got a slew of other questions, but I'll start slow and post separate threads.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com