Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-29-2013, 01:17 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

How can i tell if my skimmer is working properly? it is the "sunsea"? skimmer from petco.

Old 12-29-2013, 01:17 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

That is an awful lot of fish for a 50g cube. lol What kind of tang btw? Hopefully not one of the large ones.........
That bioload could be a major reason issue as far as corals and the non skimming skimmer is another issue. With that much fish you really NEED a skimmer to work for you.

Old 12-29-2013, 01:21 PM   #13

Thank you both very much for the info. I will watch my trigger more closely but i think he is ok i havent noticed him messing with any of my coral.... sad, he is my favorite fish. yeah i have hippo tang. she is tiny though maybe 2-1/2"
Old 12-29-2013, 02:28 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I wouldn't bother with a refugium. I'd rather invest in a better skimmer. I believe the bio load is the problem. How often are you feeding and how much? How often are you doing water changes?

That's incorrect about carbon being bad for corals btw.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:49 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I need a refugium and have no idea what to get!

You have some fish that are known to increase bioload quite a bit, the trigger and the tang. They will both outgrow your tank, so be aware of that. An efficient skimmer is my first recommendation. That should be done first before worrying about a refugium. Those fish are generating a lot of waste. That waste will greatly effect the health of your corals if it isn't disposed of.

My best bet is that your phosphate levels are too high.
Old 01-01-2014, 02:28 PM   #16

Thumbs up

Greg you were right. my phosphates were way out of hand.... I got a PH buffer additive and tweaked my Seaclone100 skimmer to get it working properly. took about two hours of tinkering with it to get it dialed in. Fish are happy and water is healthy finally. I really appreciate all the feedback and help! This site rocks!!! I tried Reef Central and 2 weeks later I still haven't got a single reply.... So I truly thank you all!
Now that i have it working properly and my levels are healthy (for now) i have a few more questions...

1- My LFS told me to top off the tank daily with fresh water, no salt or tap-safe. I am very reluctant to do so but what he said made sense. he says the water evaporates but the salt doesn't so i don't need the salt, also no tap safe because i already have it in there from water changes??? any truth to this?

2- i have a green film algae on the glass that grows in a matter of hours my tanks glass has a green tint/film, how can i prevent it from growing once i clean it off the glass?

3- I am looking at the Eshopps overflow box with the wet dry filter/fuge. it is rated for 600 GPH witch would turn my water 10 times and hour. the model number is WD-125CS If someone can tell me if this is worth the $240 they are asking? or should i piece my fuge together? and what site should i be going to in order to find the best deal/products for piecing it together?

4 - what size return pump would i need with that ^^^ overflow/fuge?

That is all i have for now lol.
Thanks in advance!:t hanks::tha nks:
Old 01-01-2014, 02:47 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I need a refugium and have no idea what to get!

1- My LFS told me to top off the tank daily with fresh water, no salt or tap-safe. I am very reluctant to do so but what he said made sense. he says the water evaporates but the salt doesn't so i don't need the salt, also no tap safe because i already have it in there from water changes??? any truth to this?

He is correct. You top off with fresh water, I suggest you use RO/DI water exclusively as you already had a phosphate problem and some tap water can contribute to that.

2- i have a green film algae on the glass that grows in a matter of hours my tanks glass has a green tint/film, how can i prevent it from growing once i clean it off the glass?

Again, excess nutrients cause the algae to grow. Some will grow regardless, but snails and a cleaner magnet will help.

3- I am looking at the Eshopps overflow box with the wet dry filter/fuge. it is rated for 600 GPH witch would turn my water 10 times and hour. the model number is WD-125CS If someone can tell me if this is worth the $240 they are asking? or should i piece my fuge together? and what site should i be going to in order to find the best deal/products for piecing it together?

That's not a bad price for one that is already set up. Look at YouTube, there are many different schemes offered there for a fuge.

4 - what size return pump would i need with that ^^^ overflow/fuge?

You would want to shoot for a pump that will turn your tank over about 10 times per hour. You can do less, but will need to increase flow with power heads. For a 55 gallon reef, shoot for 500-600 GPH.

That is all i have for now lol.
Thanks in advance!:t hanks::tha nks:[/QUOTE]

You're welcome, have a good new year.
Old 01-01-2014, 03:08 PM   #18

Thumbs up Thank you!!!

Thank you Greg, I will be getting the fuge up and running asap. I have been looking at a good Ro for the tank, will be after the fuge though. they can be pricy. I figured the algae is a constant battle kind of thing just making sure i wasnt missing something. I will let you know what i do as soon as i get it going. I truly appreciate the quick response and help! Happy New Year!!! have a great day!
Old 01-01-2014, 06:16 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
You must use tap water conditioner for any water you add to the tank. You have things like chlorine in the water that will need to be detoxified. The idea that a weekly addition of a tap water conditioner to your tank will protect the tank indefinitely is not something that I would trust to be true.
Using it more, will not hurt anything, but using it less than necessary, will.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:10 PM   #20

That's what I was thinking Mr x. So I cant overdose with tap safe? That's what he told me, I would overdose the tank with tap safe and kill coral and then fish if I continued.

B-)

Tags
refugium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com