Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-21-2013, 10:07 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I am not concerned regarding the lighting budget, my main concern is the weekly cost of water changes, (I worked this out at 25 NZ$ per week for the red sea coral pro mix) - hence the decision to get actual sea water! also live rock is pretty expensive, again have a number of divers on hand so these too are coming from the ocean. aiming for a setup with as few water changes as possible (will put in the $$ to achieve this)! expanding the sump and refugium area to 100L

Old 09-21-2013, 11:46 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Lighting could cost you thousands depending on what you went with. I would be more concerned with that than a bit of salt water. Watts per gallon is not a good gauge to go by with reef lighting. There are variables to consider-
The depth of the tank
The wattage of the LEDs in question
What coral you intend to keep
optics or not

You have to answer these questions before you can choose what works for you.

What ocean are you taking this rock from?

Old 09-22-2013, 02:03 AM   #13

Tank is 59 cm high and I have a choice of ocean water, I can choose from Tasman or Pacific, the water is not at tropical temperatures here, however it is in OZ and they have amazing reefs! The underwater life here is quite a bit different! bit of experimenting going on! maybe if I warm the water, it is from the same sea then I get something else LOL! if it fails, and i can't get decent test results, I can empty it and use red sea coral salts mix! i was planning on a multitude of rock, some deep, some shallow, some from pools, we have a lot of nicely growing volcanic rock also and even some I find online and in the store - bit of this, bit of that! I have no idea what coral I want yet, I pretty much like them all so wanted to keep my options open, get the rocks sorted and have controllable lighting for the corals but only once I sort the water parameters!

I told them to look at the most powerful LED's and make sure I can control them! will see what options there are on Monday! i just need to pay for the actual LED's - wiring and fitting is free!

what do you mean optics or not?

Maraetai - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia is the closest to me, this is on the Pacific side but I can just as easy go in the other direction! (I will go FAR from the swimming areas) bear in mind that NZ is not very populated!

I pretty much just want to bung in some water and see if i flood the place! still clueless! give me a few months!
Old 09-22-2013, 04:31 AM   #14

i can't see the reply i posted earlier! but it would be the Pacific or the Tasman! Most of the sea in NZ is unspoiled! life underwater is very different to the reef in oz but need to experiment! I am pretty persistent in getting stuff right! i have a degree in microbiology and did chemistry, just a bit rusty as haven't been working in the field for like 10 years so maybe confusing myself a bit more then normal!

i will post to forums like this before i put any fish or expensive corals in there and see what experienced people come back with!

REALLY liking the seahorse and mimic octopus and rays and the mantis shrimp! but then again i like jellyfish too - easily pleased! - should be an easy choice (NOT)! i will pick clown fish. besides from everything, i have NO IDEA what I want

clean water and living rocks and then i will decide

What do you keep?
Old 09-22-2013, 08:06 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree completely. Cuttlefish and octos would be my choice in a perfect world, but alas....I am currently keeping corals, anemones, and reef safe fish such as tangs and rabbits.

I would be concerned pulling rock from the local waters unless I knew pretty much all of the life that inhabits it.
What are the normal temps of these waters? In the 60's I think, right? If so, most likely all the life on the rock would die in waters near 20 degrees warmer.

Would you mind taking some pictures of this rock and posting them on the forum? I'm very curious about it.
Old 09-22-2013, 03:23 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Breakthecycle2
Mr. X is right. Just going out picking rock from the ocean (is that legal over there?) does not mean it will work in a home aquarium.

Also, going out and telling someone to build you the "most power" lights, also doesn't mean anything. The more specific you are, the better we can help you.
Old 09-22-2013, 03:35 PM   #17

I will post photos of the rocks, still putting the bits for the tank together! once that is done, then we will drive up the country collecting rocks! I have found a link where I can get rocks from the Islands like Figi and Tonga at a reasonable price if these ones fail! The ones at the lfs were $350 NZ per 25KG! From Figi and Tonga, they are $2.50 NZ per KG.

As for water temperatures. here is a map: (we stay in the upper middle part and are coming into summer now so it can get up to 22 Celcius). Still way colder then some of the tropical waters I have lived near.

Sea-surface temperatures – Coastal fish – Te Ara Encyclopedia of New Zealand
Old 09-22-2013, 03:59 PM   #18

have to run to work now, but these are the corals that caught my eye:

Soft Coral Frag Pack + Macro Algae | Trade Me

Soft Coral Frag Pack + Macro Algae | Trade Me

Pink cabbage coral frag | Trade Me

10 Coral Frags | Trade Me

A - grade rose bubble tip anemone | Trade Me

would be super of you could tell me what LED's to order, as far as I knew they come in the entire spectrum, it's mainly the blues and whites that I want, will throw in some red (to see what colors I can bring out with it). i only said the most powerful ones because then I can turn them down, can pretty much order as many as i want and have them fitted to pretty much anything I like! There is so much to think about my head is mush!
Old 09-22-2013, 04:56 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

[QUOTE=angielynn;2661402]Tank is 59 cm high

I told them to look at the most powerful LED's and make sure I can control them! will
3 watters should work for you.

what do you mean optics or not?
Optics are focusing lenses. They aim the light down and concentrate it, instead of losing a lot of it out the sides of the tank.
Old 09-23-2013, 02:26 AM   #20

Thumbs up

yay! for that, it clears up some of the confusion with the lights and makes things so much simpler! 3 Watt LED's it is, I will order in bulk! I am sure I will have more stories over the weekend when we are working on this tank some more! definately will post some pics when it starts coming together, should be entertaining

Tags
reef, reef tank, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com