I need help with a reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks, weather is warming up now, is going to be exciting rock fishing lol! there is millions of starfish also! will pop one or three in the refugium. have to run again to work again! but this is the best dive spot in NZ (to give you a picture, they will lock me up if i rob the place) but there is similar around, hard to find clips of everything else.

Diving the 'Poor Knights' - LiquidFilmsNZ - YouTube

coromandel (allowed to take stuff from there) will have any excuse to go there <3 it!

Crayfish slay freediving around Tairua,Coromandel,NZ - YouTube

That rock may or may not work, but be careful of predators hitching a ride into your tank on it. What i would try to do is keep things alive on that rock. See if you can transport it submerged in water to your tank and make the tank water the same temp as the ocean. then slowly raise the temperature over a period of weeks, and only raise it to 76-78 tops. You may be able to keep everything alive, including your beneficial bacteria, and skip a cycle completely.

Wow! You are good! I was going to keep them in buckets under water but didn't think to raise the temperature slowly! phew! this could actually work! :dance:

I hadn't looked into what temperature I was to set the tank! but i will keep it at 78 max (same as my freshwater!) Is this ok for most stuff that goes into the marine tanks?

Hopefully I will catch any predators before fish go in there! I don't cope very well loosing fish - was up till past midnight because i thought my Gourami was sick, was giving him emergency oxygen and stuff because I have been messing with the water to prepare the water for the new fish this weekend! They are all fine, but I lost sleep! Have been increasing the GH! now I need to do it to the KH, do you know about fresh water also? My pH is pretty constant but does drop on occasion! I don't want to mess with it too much but my new fishes need harder water (not this RO stuff out the tap!- good for marine though :D). in short I do need increase the KH but don't want to increase pH, is this possible? i can handle an approx 0.3 pH increase but am struggling to get exact information online, everything seems risky! eventually i will cave and throw in some bicarb!

I will have a look and see if I can find examples of the volcanic rock, are there easy tests for heavy metals that you can get in the store (i think this is the risk putting volcanic stuff in there, so can maybe test the bucket water before putting them in the tank)

There is more! On the topic of substrate now! What can I do with crushed coral that has been sat dry in a bucket for 7 years! throw it out or can i use this? Also have a large number of larger coral pieces (old as ever) that i have been boiling up on consecutive evenings, thinking of using this in one of the tank filters, so like this, water goes through some filter media, past a mesh and then through some bioballs and finally through the larger bits of coral (if these are safe to use) - then through a series of pumps, sand, refuguim and protein skimmer back up to the tank! More questions on live sand, can I pick some up from the rock pools?

They are amazing, I won't be getting one :( the one in specific that I wanted has only nine months! there is NO way I could deal with that and they are very hard to find, definitely would have to be a special import + i am a novice and want an open tank! Been looking up Mr X's fish and loving the tangs but they are real expensive! so I am veering back to the clownfish, but i have ages to decide yet!

They are amazing, I won't be getting one :( the one in specific that I wanted has only nine months! there is NO way I could deal with that and they are very hard to find, definitely would have to be a special import + i am a novice and want an open tank! Been looking up Mr X's fish and loving the tangs but they are real expensive! so I am veering back to the clownfish, but i have ages to decide yet!

Clown fish are great and easy to keep. Tangs need room to swim. Only person I knew that kept a octopus had a tank that looked like a locked down maximum security prison. The octo can stuff itself thru ridiculously small holes.

Wow! I just saw your tank GregCoyote, I am listening lol! Below are some readily available choices for me! I do like the clown fish!

Tang is like the most expensive so I shall gain more exp! Maybe i will get a few pairs of clown fish and see if they have babies (that sounds cute and fun)!

Tangs/Surgeon Fish
Desjardinii Sailfin Tang $120.00
Orange Stripe Bristletooth $110.00
Yellow Tang $199.90
Mimic Tang - Ananthurus pyroferus $149.90

Cardinal Fish
Pyjama $69.90

Clownfish
Baby Percula $39.90
Baby Ocellaris $69.90
Maroon $89.90
Blue Stripe $89.90

Butterfly Fish

Damselfish
Chromis $49.90
Talbot's Damsel $49.90
Yellow Headed Damsel $49.90
Starkii Damsel $59.90
Neon Blue Striped Damsel $49.90
Blue Damsel (Pomacentrus coelestis) $44.90
Honey Stripe Damsel (Neoglyphidodon nigroris) $44.90
Yellow Tail Damsel (Chrysiptera parasema) $44.90

Wrasses
Six Stripe

Dragonets
Mandarin $89.90

Dottyback
Strawberry $99.90
Royal $79.90

Blenny
Jewelled Rockskipper $89.90

Gobies
Fire $89.90

Rabbit Fish
Bi Colour Rabbit Fish $149.90

Angelfish
Coral Beauty $99.90

Boxfish/Cowfish/Puffers
Sharpnose Puffer

Hawkefish
Flame $169.90

Misc

Shrimps
Coral Banded $79.90
Peppermint
Cleaner $79.90

Snails/Starfish

Anemones

Corals
Green Mushrooms $85.00

Organ Pipe $99.90

Green Star Polyps $89.90
Asst Polyps Green/Orange/Pink $99.90

Bubble Coral $99.90
Green Pearl Bubble Coral $99.90

Flowerpot Green $99.90

Frogspawn Coral $99.90

Trachyphyllia geoffroyi - Red $99.90
Green Brain Open $99.90
Green Pinapple Coral $95.00
Green/Red Favites $89.90

Caulastrea - Green $90.00

Tube Worms/Feather Dusters $59.90

Umbrella Leather
Cabbage Leather
Finger Leather
Yellow Leather

Wow I hope that's not US dollars lol. That's like triple to ten time the normal price around here

it is NZ $. this place is expensive though! it is the at the end of the world!

it is NZ $. this place is expensive though! it is the at the end of the world!
I think the conversion is $1 in NZ is .82 in the US that's still really high. I though the saltwater hobby was expensive here haha.

Wow, where are you in NZ? I am in oz and all of those prices are around double what I would pay here (for example $60 regal tang, $30 clownfish, $10 - $20 damselfish) corals can be that pricey if they are large. Is there another option for you?

if i were in oz, i would in IN the sea! NZ is more expensive then Oz and they pay you less! on the flip side, nothing kills you here! i do think the Ozzie weather is better though! Wait till you see the prices for live rock $300 -350 for 25 KG!, it is cheaper to import from Figi! and salt, well that is a different matter! I will get through these prices! there are not many other options here, tradme is one (where I found the tank :D) - patience for the bargains!

Back
Top Bottom