Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-23-2013, 08:00 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Look for the most porous pieces of rock you can get. Stay away from very heavy, dense pieces.

Old 09-23-2013, 04:10 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thanks, weather is warming up now, is going to be exciting rock fishing lol! there is millions of starfish also! will pop one or three in the refugium. have to run again to work again! but this is the best dive spot in NZ (to give you a picture, they will lock me up if i rob the place) but there is similar around, hard to find clips of everything else.

Diving the 'Poor Knights' - LiquidFilmsNZ - YouTube

coromandel (allowed to take stuff from there) will have any excuse to go there <3 it!

Crayfish slay freediving around Tairua,Coromandel,NZ - YouTube

Old 09-23-2013, 05:56 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
That rock may or may not work, but be careful of predators hitching a ride into your tank on it. What i would try to do is keep things alive on that rock. See if you can transport it submerged in water to your tank and make the tank water the same temp as the ocean. then slowly raise the temperature over a period of weeks, and only raise it to 76-78 tops. You may be able to keep everything alive, including your beneficial bacteria, and skip a cycle completely.
Old 09-24-2013, 03:35 AM   #24

Wow! You are good! I was going to keep them in buckets under water but didn't think to raise the temperature slowly! phew! this could actually work!

I hadn't looked into what temperature I was to set the tank! but i will keep it at 78 max (same as my freshwater!) Is this ok for most stuff that goes into the marine tanks?

Hopefully I will catch any predators before fish go in there! I don't cope very well loosing fish - was up till past midnight because i thought my Gourami was sick, was giving him emergency oxygen and stuff because I have been messing with the water to prepare the water for the new fish this weekend! They are all fine, but I lost sleep! Have been increasing the GH! now I need to do it to the KH, do you know about fresh water also? My pH is pretty constant but does drop on occasion! I don't want to mess with it too much but my new fishes need harder water (not this RO stuff out the tap!- good for marine though ). in short I do need increase the KH but don't want to increase pH, is this possible? i can handle an approx 0.3 pH increase but am struggling to get exact information online, everything seems risky! eventually i will cave and throw in some bicarb!

I will have a look and see if I can find examples of the volcanic rock, are there easy tests for heavy metals that you can get in the store (i think this is the risk putting volcanic stuff in there, so can maybe test the bucket water before putting them in the tank)
Old 09-24-2013, 04:21 AM   #25

There is more! On the topic of substrate now! What can I do with crushed coral that has been sat dry in a bucket for 7 years! throw it out or can i use this? Also have a large number of larger coral pieces (old as ever) that i have been boiling up on consecutive evenings, thinking of using this in one of the tank filters, so like this, water goes through some filter media, past a mesh and then through some bioballs and finally through the larger bits of coral (if these are safe to use) - then through a series of pumps, sand, refuguim and protein skimmer back up to the tank! More questions on live sand, can I pick some up from the rock pools?
Old 09-24-2013, 04:33 AM   #26

Mimic Octopus 8"
Old 09-24-2013, 04:34 AM   #27

Do it lol! Most intelligent Mimic Octopus in the world (with sub) - YouTube
Old 09-24-2013, 04:45 AM   #28

WAAAAAAAAAIT! they die after 9 months and also die after reproducing Aquarium Fish: Captive Observations of the Mimic Octopus, Thaumoctopus mimicus &mdash; Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog
Old 09-24-2013, 10:05 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by angielynn View Post
I've heard that an octopus will only live to 12 months max in an aquarium and they consider that a full captive life expectancy
Old 09-24-2013, 03:05 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkey3425 View Post
I've heard that an octopus will only live to 12 months max in an aquarium and they consider that a full captive life expectancy
They are escape artists and don't like captivity much.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3667731686.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	173.6 KB
ID:	199647  

Tags
reef, reef tank, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com