I need help with my protein skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gump3842k

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a seaclone 100 on a 35 gallon hexagon tank. My skimmer is putting so many bubbles in the water it is making my tank look foggy. What should i do about this

If its a brand new skimmer this is totally normal. Should stop in a week or so, hopefully.

Have you tried adjusting the venturi knob on the air hose to see if you can reduce the bubbles that way?

You ran out of chat on me before I could assist you further.

As biggen has said this is not uncommon for new skimmers. There is a break in period that all new skimmers go thru. This can be as short as a few hours or as long as a few days.

Also read the skimmer documentation as each brand has its own way of adjusting the outflow. Adjust the outflow till you have no or very little bubbles being dumped into the tank. This might mean you have to almost totally shut the air intake off for a few days.

Skimmers are super sensiitive to whats in the water and there is usually a thin film from the manufacturing process that is on the inside of the skimmer body that makes it much more sensitive during the breakin period.

I grabbed one of those sponges that I received with my powerhead and put it in front of my seaclone where the water pours back into the tank. That catches my bubbles. Personally, I don't like my seaclone. It's too temperamental when it comes to producing the foam. It'll do fine for a couple of days, but as soon as I pull the cup off, rinse it out, and put it back on, it takes days and a lot of adjustments to get it to produce foam again. :|

Has anyone else had this kind of trouble with the seaclone?

It is the protein skimmer that I have been planning on purchasing for my new tank. But if it is a hassle in general I may have to consider something else.

Thanks

Has anyone else had this kind of trouble with the seaclone?

It is the protein skimmer that I have been planning on purchasing for my new tank. But if it is a hassle in general I may have to consider something else.

To put it bluntly, they are a total piece of junk. I had one for 3 months on my tank before I finally threw it in the garbage. I could never get it to produce much of anything. Like MarkH said, very temperamental.

I have since purchased an AquaC Urchin and never looked back. I am amazed out how well this skimmer works. AquaC's are near the top of the list when it comes to protein skimmers, IMO.

I also heard the AquaC Urchin was pretty good. I've been researching it and I'm thinking of getting one. They're a little pricey, but I'm sure it'll make up the difference in aggravation that I get with the seaclone.

I also have a seaclone. It has been running about 2 months now. It never put any air bubbles in my tank at all. I opened my air up all the way. The problem is It does not skim worth crap, I agree take the cup off and it takes 2 days before it starts working again. I have a aqua C remora with skimmer box ordered and cant wait for delivery!

Aqua C Remora is the top of the line in a small HOB skimmer...nothing else will touch it. The next best thing is a Bakpak, but the Aqua C will outperform the Bakpak.

Yippee! I just ordered my AquaC. Used 2-day shipping as well. I'm excited. :D
I'm sure I can get rid of my seaclone in ebay.

Well I was lucky then I guess. I was at the brink of buying the seaclone but the guy at my LFS advised against it. Said that the red sea prizm what a much better bang for my buck, and at 50 dollars less, unless there are any serious objections I think that I will get it.
I would like to get a better one but it is just not in the budget.

Anycomments of the prizm in general? Is it better than the seaclone?

As always, THANKYOU

From what I have read so far, the Prizm would blow the Seaclone out of the water (pun intended :lol: )

From what I have read so far, the Prizm would blow the Seaclone out of the water (pun intended :lol: )

Anycomments of the prizm in general? Is it better than the seaclone?

While I have no personal experience with the Prizm, I seriously doubt it could be any worse than a Seaclone. From what I have heard, it does seem to perform better, but not a LOT better. I would go with it if that is your budget.

Yah well those are the only two that are really in the budget (disregarding the crappy put together the parts crappy ones).

I am going to get the prizm tomorrow as well as a maxijet 900 powerhead to get some initial circulation.

The Prizm, while not a great skimmer, should be adequate for a 30g tank. It's much better than the Seaclone IMO and I've had them both. I tossed a Seaclone in the trash tonight. As to the powerhead, go ahead the get the MJ1200. It's a lot more flow for not much more money.
Also, I believe I remember reading in another post that this tank is a school project? If you would, PM me with the details. If it's a school project for real, I may be able to help you out with the limited budget...save you some $$ or enable you to get some better equipment without going outside the budget limitations. :mrgreen:

I BOUGHT THE PRIZM TODAY!!! And I also got a maxi-jet 900. I tried the both out in my sink tonite and they worked well. I wanted to see how well they worked and more to get the manufacture residue off them so they will be ready to go in when I go in early tomorrow.

Awesome, yah it is a school project for sure. We are getting down to the nitty gritty as far as funds go. So I really want to get the tank up and running on what little we have left, and upgrade later. I would really appreciate any help that you could give us as far as that goes, and we could supply you with some verification of us being actually a school project (a letter from the teacher or something). But that may have to wait until we get a little more cash. Thank you so so so so much for the offer, and I hope we can discuss it further!

Thanks again!

And wow I have been looking at your site and even your list prices are great (less than I have spent on things), but I am not sure how much shipping up here would add.

Anyways thank you again!

Back
Top Bottom