Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-01-2004, 05:29 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to XXFirefighter Send a message via Yahoo to XXFirefighter
I need new filtration system, what do I need? Fuge maybe?

55 gallons and I have a Emporer 400 with just carbon in the baskets and then a Aqua C Remora w/prefilter box. The problem is the TV is next to the tank and it's a little loud. I don't mind it but I don't watch TV, wifey does... I wanted to maybe add a 10-20 gallon fuge under the tank in the stand. I know I need lighting down there. Can I set it up so the skimmer is down there as well as the HOB filter? I was thinking on putting in a 20 gallon tank, and seperating it into 3 areas. 1 for skimmer, then 2nd for the emporer just for water polishing. And in the middle add live sand from the tank and some LR. What else do I need? How do I pump the water from the tank into the fuge? Then how do I get it back ? I was thinking on a siphion box to get the water into the fuge but then how do I pump it back? Will a 300gph siphon acutally do 300gph so a 300 gph powerhead pump it back with out going dry? How do I make sure I don't over fill the fuge if the powerhead dies?

Thanks !

Old 06-01-2004, 06:19 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You need to use an overflow to pull from the tank to the sump and a pump to send it back to the tank. Once the overflow is setup it will only drain as much water as the return pump can put into the tank, and so it will balance itself out. A 300gph powerhead (assuming it actually puts out 300) will only do that much at the nozzle. As you add tubing length and elevation to what it must pump, the rate will drop drastically. You'll need to figure out what your head height will be, and find a pump that will produce that much at that height. Then find an overflow that will flow MORE than your pump to keep from flooding yourself.

Old 06-02-2004, 10:33 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to XXFirefighter Send a message via Yahoo to XXFirefighter
So one of these and then a high powered powerhead is what I need?
Old 06-02-2004, 10:31 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...305045578&rd=1

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...305045578&rd=1

for a little cheaper than that one. I bought one from this guy and so far it's working pretty well. I think he makes them himself, but the quality seems good. I thought about the one you have listed, but didn't like the idea of needing to run an airmpump on it all the time to keep it balanced. And probably a regular flat bottom pump to sit on the bottom of the fuge rather than a powerhead.

This is my 'fuge. Its not as complicated as some others, but I have limited room.

Old 06-02-2004, 10:51 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy
I bought one from this guy and so fart it's working pretty well.
Sorry. I'm bored and it was such a funny typo. :P

Tags
filtration, filtration system, stem, system

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com