Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 04-15-2013, 08:41 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Rutrag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,133
I also forgot to answer, but you'd need two of the Taotronics for a 75. Chester Aquaria in Chester, VA does mailorder and is local to me. They have a programmable unit for about $475 that they say is enough for a 75 by itself. I'm on my iPhone right now, so it's hard to look up the info on it. (IT280 maybe?) I believe their store display is a 120 and they have one unit over it.
__________________

__________________
It is a violation of federal law to use this product in a manner inconsistent with its labelling.
Rutrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:28 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Fishtankkeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutrag View Post
As far as test kits, you'll want to make sure you have ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, calcium, alkalinity, magnesium, pH, and phosphate as well as a refractometer. What will be your water source? You don't want to use tapwater, as that will drive you bonkers with algae growth. An RODI unit is a good investment in the long run, but many LFS sell it, or you can buy from a grocery store. Regardless of where you buy, test it before adding to your tank.

I think a 75 with two built in overflows might be hard to find. I know Marineland / Perfecto has one with one. You might be able to find one with one and have it drilled and add a second kit.

PLEASE be sure to invest in a cheap quarantine system for your fish as well. It's a lot less expensive than losing the entire fish collection to ick.

Also, thank you for your compliment.
I am going to buy the water from the store and how large do you think the quarantine tank needs to be 10, 20, or 30 gallons? Concerning the quarantine tank, how would I set it up? How do I keep the tank seeded, do I need to cycle it separately? Does anything like live sand or rock need to go into the tank? What is you opinion about the Flame Anglefish? What is the minimum tank size for a Yellow Tang? Liveaquaria says a 100 gallon tank for the Yellow Tang, but most people say a smaller one. Where did you buy your sump from and what do you think about Aqueon's sump? Also, your
__________________

__________________
Fishtankkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:19 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Rutrag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,133
I bought my sump as a scratch and dent deal from That Pet Place. The Aqueon sumps from what I understand are a little on the small side, and don't leave much room for a skimmer.

The problem with most tangs is the amount of swimming room they require. In the wild, they form large schools and roam over literally miles of reef, feeding as they go. When crammed into smaller quarters, they tend to get very skittish and develop all kinds of health problems. A yellow tang should have at least a 6' long tank. Don't fool yourself into thinking you'll upgrade later. All of us would like to upgrade, but we know it's expensive. However, in a 75 you can successfully keep a kole or tomini tang.

The dwarf angels are hit and miss as to whether they are reef safe. I've read stories ranging from "mine is a model citizen" to "he nips at something on occasion" to "one day he turned into a coral eating machine and killed all my corals." The geniacanthus angelfish are the most reef safe, but all require more space than a 75. They're also not as boldly colored. (These are the species like bellus, zebra, swallowtail, etc.)
__________________
It is a violation of federal law to use this product in a manner inconsistent with its labelling.
Rutrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:22 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Rutrag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,133
I use a 10 for my quarantine, but I wish I had larger. No sand or live rock in QT, it's for fish only. As far as cycling it, you can keep a sponge in your sump to seed (never move it back to the DT though) and just move it to the QT when you start it, or do a fish less cycle on it too.
__________________
It is a violation of federal law to use this product in a manner inconsistent with its labelling.
Rutrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:25 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Fishtankkeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutrag View Post
I bought my sump as a scratch and dent deal from That Pet Place. The Aqueon sumps from what I understand are a little on the small side, and don't leave much room for a skimmer.

The problem with most tangs is the amount of swimming room they require. In the wild, they form large schools and roam over literally miles of reef, feeding as they go. When crammed into smaller quarters, they tend to get very skittish and develop all kinds of health problems. A yellow tang should have at least a 6' long tank. Don't fool yourself into thinking you'll upgrade later. All of us would like to upgrade, but we know it's expensive. However, in a 75 you can successfully keep a kole or tomini tang.

The dwarf angels are hit and miss as to whether they are reef safe. I've read stories ranging from "mine is a model citizen" to "he nips at something on occasion" to "one day he turned into a coral eating machine and killed all my corals." The geniacanthus angelfish are the most reef safe, but all require more space than a 75. They're also not as boldly colored. (These are the species like bellus, zebra, swallowtail, etc.)
Tanks, also do you have any ideas for good, as I like to call them, centerpiece fish? Also any idea who sells the Eshopps DLX-200?
__________________
Fishtankkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:29 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Fishtankkeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutrag View Post
I use a 10 for my quarantine, but I wish I had larger. No sand or live rock in QT, it's for fish only. As far as cycling it, you can keep a sponge in your sump to seed (never move it back to the DT though) and just move it to the QT when you start it, or do a fish less cycle on it too.
A legit sponge or filter pad and will I need a new one each time I use the QT?
__________________
Fishtankkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:42 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Rutrag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishtankkeeper View Post
A legit sponge or filter pad and will I need a new one each time I use the QT?
Unless you keep the QT up and running, yes. I've just been keeping mine lately. I should clarify that I have an Aquaclear mini filter with 3 of the sponge inserts in it and a powerhead for circulation.
__________________
It is a violation of federal law to use this product in a manner inconsistent with its labelling.
Rutrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:38 AM   #38
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Supa Belle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: S.A. Texas
Posts: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishtankkeeper View Post
Lol, nice fish Belle!
Thanks he is a ham for the camera I love him to pieces, I snagged him out of a dying reef tank yay for me but I wasn't able to get the corals the guy flaked on me :/
__________________
90 gal display 30 gal sump/fuge
San Antonio, Texas
Supa Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:20 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Fishtankkeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutrag View Post
Unless you keep the QT up and running, yes. I've just been keeping mine lately. I should clarify that I have an Aquaclear mini filter with 3 of the sponge inserts in it and a powerhead for circulation.
Thanks, sorry I didn't reply sooner I did not get on yesterday.
__________________
Fishtankkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:58 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Fishtankkeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supa Belle View Post
Thanks he is a ham for the camera I love him to pieces, I snagged him out of a dying reef tank yay for me but I wasn't able to get the corals the guy flaked on me :/
Hey Belle, I saw in your signature you have a 30 gallon sump and I was wondering what kind it is or did you make it yourself?
__________________

__________________
Fishtankkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.