I need some advice!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hookman

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey, My snails ate a lot of my algae, now there is a new kind that is a nicer looking green actually. It is in little patches about the size of a pencil erasers diameter, pretty small. I was wondering how other people take care of this. I was thinking of getting one of those magnets you slide along the tank. Any opinions appreciated! Thankyou!

Hi,

Is this tank SW or FW?

If the algae is just nuisance fuzzy stuff, a razor blade works wonders.

I have used magnetic scrapers, long handled scrapers, green scrubby pads, etc. etc. but the razor blade just seems to be the best for me. Fast and precise, and not much that the blade can't handle. (Try scrubbing nerite eggs off the glass with a scrub pad sometime LOL)

If you have an acrylic tank you'll want to look into a plastic scraper blade or something soft.

hope that helps a lil bit.

Razors work well. I use a white acrylic safe sponge for my glass. Have to admit my snails clean the majority though. :wink:

Algae problem?

Hi,

I own five of the mag-float which works great on glass. It also floats. I have different size tank and need to go down deep to remove algae from above the crushed coral line. My snails have been doing a good job so far.
I only need to clean my glass a few times a year.

Good luck!

I originally got a "acrylic safe" mag float which did not clean algae, but it did scratch the outside of my tank. I bought a piranah float magnet from captive reefs and it works awesome!!! I run it across everyday and it stops the algae from getting a foothold.

Back
Top Bottom