Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-01-2013, 12:03 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes you think my new fish will be alright floating for a little while

Old 10-01-2013, 12:09 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your new fish can most likely get ich as well. The hypo should work well. Most fish stores use lower salinity in their tanks (only fish ones, not inverts, corals etc). Blue tangs can pick up ich easily so like I said get some PVC for hiding places for less stress, you can feed with garlic as well to help entice eating and help the immune system. Or get some good fish vitamins. I'd also keep some kind if seaweed clip or something in there because the tang isn't going to be able to graze on rocks. Good luck!!

Old 10-01-2013, 12:18 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have garlic extract that I put on the seaweed in the tank. Just need the PVC. Thanks for all your advice. I
Hope all goes well
Old 10-01-2013, 12:37 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can float your fish for a while. If its been bagged for a long time, open the top and try to get it somewhere where it won't tip over (or clip it to the side of your tank. Adding water during acclimation should provide oxygen.

If you hypo the QT tank, odds are it will wipe out whatever Ich is present on the first Tang and hopefully the new fish won't get it. If they do, hypo will get that too.

I would slow it down a little. adding three fish at a time could be overwhelming to your QT (or even a smaller DT). I usually won't go more than a fish or two a month. Gives time to watch them in QT and treat if something shows up. Ordering fish before the original fish is clear brings up this kind of scenario.

+1 to getting PVC for fish to hide in. Places like Home Depot sell it.

I disagree that all tanks have Ich. They only have it if you allow them too. If you set up a tank, it can't magically have a parasite or disease. If you properly QT fish prior to adding them to your DT, the odds are fairly low that one will sneak through with something not being observed first. Some people run their QT hypo just in case. that knocks out some of the nasties out there. Systems with Ich can often do well, if there is proper diet, low stress and everything is kept in check.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:43 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTodd View Post
You can float your fish for a while. If its been bagged for a long time, open the top and try to get it somewhere where it won't tip over (or clip it to the side of your tank. Adding water during acclimation should provide oxygen. If you hypo the QT tank, odds are it will wipe out whatever Ich is present on the first Tang and hopefully the new fish won't get it. If they do, hypo will get that too. I would slow it down a little. adding three fish at a time could be overwhelming to your QT (or even a smaller DT). I usually won't go more than a fish or two a month. Gives time to watch them in QT and treat if something shows up. Ordering fish before the original fish is clear brings up this kind of scenario. +1 to getting PVC for fish to hide in. Places like Home Depot sell it. I disagree that all tanks have Ich. They only have it if you allow them too. If you set up a tank, it can't magically have a parasite or disease. If you properly QT fish prior to adding them to your DT, the odds are fairly low that one will sneak through with something not being observed first. Some people run their QT hypo just in case. that knocks out some of the nasties out there. Systems with Ich can often do well, if there is proper diet, low stress and everything is kept in check.
I had ich in my DT last year and every single fish overcame it. No casualties except the fish who brought the ich. And my clowns and fox face had it bad. Just kept feeding with vitamins and kept up on water changes and everyone was already happy. Since then I've added other fish (including a tang) and no one has gotten it. So I agree with what you said about systems with ich can possibly do ok. And as for the ich-bringer, that fish did die. But I made the mistake of getting him right after hurricane sandy not realizing the LFS had lost power for a week. But it can be conquered!!! So good luck to the OP and sorry about your elibi mimic. In your other post he looked like he was not going to make it.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:20 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

No I'm pretty sure he won't. I didn't think 3 fish would be to much or I wouldn't have done it. I figured I'd keep them in qt for a month giving my 150 sometime to cycle from any die off from the live rock
Old 10-01-2013, 02:45 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

I got some PVC T's. the fish is barely breathing. What would you guys do. Give it sometime or take it out

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-347910359.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	170.4 KB
ID:	200650
Old 10-01-2013, 06:12 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well I got home and my tang was dead. LFS has no guarantee also. 48 hours. What a loss
Old 10-01-2013, 06:17 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

That's sad even Petsmart guarantees for two week
Old 10-01-2013, 06:38 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Petsmart doesn't have marine fish. I wish they did. I've never been in one with dirty tanks

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com