I need some advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stlrockguy

Aquarium Advice Addict
I got a mimic eibli tang on Saturday an I noticed it has ich today. I have it in qt ATM and I have quick ick in my tank. My concern is that I just received my 2 fish I ordered and don't know what to do they are a blue tang and a yellow watchman goby. I'm scared to put blue in a tank with ich

All new additions should really go through QT before DT. From what I understand, all tanks have ick and stress to the fish is what causes them to be able to get infected with it. The QT process adjusts the fish and allows them to calm down after the stress of shipping or just the ride home from the LFS. IT also gives you a chance to kill the ick if it develops.

Yea I understand that. I just didn't know how it's affect the blue tang with it already affecting my other tang. Blue tang are really prone to ich

Yea I understand that. I just didn't know how it's affect the blue tang with it already affecting my other tang. Blue tang are really prone to ich
Put them through hyposalinity and you'll rid them of any ick. Does your DT have any fish in it at the moment?

This is a new fish I got on Saturday. It never made it to my dt. I was just concerned about my other fish that came in today. He's probably not going to make it. I'm doing a water change to go hypo. Taking it to 1.010

Your new fish can most likely get ich as well. The hypo should work well. Most fish stores use lower salinity in their tanks (only fish ones, not inverts, corals etc). Blue tangs can pick up ich easily so like I said get some PVC for hiding places for less stress, you can feed with garlic as well to help entice eating and help the immune system. Or get some good fish vitamins. I'd also keep some kind if seaweed clip or something in there because the tang isn't going to be able to graze on rocks. Good luck!!

You can float your fish for a while. If its been bagged for a long time, open the top and try to get it somewhere where it won't tip over (or clip it to the side of your tank. Adding water during acclimation should provide oxygen.

If you hypo the QT tank, odds are it will wipe out whatever Ich is present on the first Tang and hopefully the new fish won't get it. If they do, hypo will get that too.

I would slow it down a little. adding three fish at a time could be overwhelming to your QT (or even a smaller DT). I usually won't go more than a fish or two a month. Gives time to watch them in QT and treat if something shows up. Ordering fish before the original fish is clear brings up this kind of scenario.

+1 to getting PVC for fish to hide in. Places like Home Depot sell it.

I disagree that all tanks have Ich. They only have it if you allow them too. If you set up a tank, it can't magically have a parasite or disease. If you properly QT fish prior to adding them to your DT, the odds are fairly low that one will sneak through with something not being observed first. Some people run their QT hypo just in case. that knocks out some of the nasties out there. Systems with Ich can often do well, if there is proper diet, low stress and everything is kept in check.

You can float your fish for a while. If its been bagged for a long time, open the top and try to get it somewhere where it won't tip over (or clip it to the side of your tank. Adding water during acclimation should provide oxygen. If you hypo the QT tank, odds are it will wipe out whatever Ich is present on the first Tang and hopefully the new fish won't get it. If they do, hypo will get that too. I would slow it down a little. adding three fish at a time could be overwhelming to your QT (or even a smaller DT). I usually won't go more than a fish or two a month. Gives time to watch them in QT and treat if something shows up. Ordering fish before the original fish is clear brings up this kind of scenario. +1 to getting PVC for fish to hide in. Places like Home Depot sell it. I disagree that all tanks have Ich. They only have it if you allow them too. If you set up a tank, it can't magically have a parasite or disease. If you properly QT fish prior to adding them to your DT, the odds are fairly low that one will sneak through with something not being observed first. Some people run their QT hypo just in case. that knocks out some of the nasties out there. Systems with Ich can often do well, if there is proper diet, low stress and everything is kept in check.

I had ich in my DT last year and every single fish overcame it. No casualties except the fish who brought the ich. And my clowns and fox face had it bad. Just kept feeding with vitamins and kept up on water changes and everyone was already happy. Since then I've added other fish (including a tang) and no one has gotten it. So I agree with what you said about systems with ich can possibly do ok. And as for the ich-bringer, that fish did die. But I made the mistake of getting him right after hurricane sandy not realizing the LFS had lost power for a week. But it can be conquered!!! So good luck to the OP and sorry about your elibi mimic. In your other post he looked like he was not going to make it.

No I'm pretty sure he won't. I didn't think 3 fish would be to much or I wouldn't have done it. I figured I'd keep them in qt for a month giving my 150 sometime to cycle from any die off from the live rock

Back
Top Bottom