Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-12-2004, 10:38 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via Yahoo to tiredfish
i need some help with my first coral

i just recently purchased a colony polyp coral thing and i woke up this morning to find one of my emerald crabs chowing down on it. i have 4 of them in my tank to take care of my algae problem but had no idea that they would eat this. i have a separator mesh screen i use to keep fish apart until i feel comfortable with them being all together, should i do the same and isolate the rock from the rest of the tank until i get rid of my algae and then i can get rid of the crabs?i have a pic of what kind of colony i have. thanx

Old 06-13-2004, 12:08 AM   #2

First off those are some cool zoos. Anyways I would return the crabs, it seems they are not to happy with the algae if there munching the zoos. Generally they will only eat some corals if all the alage is gone. I think snails would be a much better alternative in your situation. Swap the crabs for some snails, or get some reef safe hermits. Probably best not to mix snails and hermits though.
Old 06-13-2004, 09:39 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Look carefully, because I thought the same thing when I dropped in my first zoo rock. My emrald crab went right to it and started picking. Then I noticed he was picking in between the zoos and getting the fresh algae. After abot 2 hours he moved on and never really did any harm to the zoos. If he is hurting them, get him out or isolate the rock, but make sure what he is doing first.
Old 06-13-2004, 11:31 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via Yahoo to tiredfish
yeah i woke up and found a little bunch of them on the bottom of my tank and saw one of my emerald crabs picking around ,also a little group of them missing. im not for sure if he ate them or they fell behind the rock in the back but i took those that he tore off and put them in my girlies tank and they seem to be just fine for now.so i isolated them for now. thanx guys

Tags
coral, first coral

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com