I need to catch a crab help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scatcat

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok I need to catch my hitchhiker crab any suggestions here? I read somewhere something about a cup trick. I would appreciate any feedback here.

Rachel

The cup trick.... I've never had to use it but have read about it. You use a smooth sided tall glass, place some bait in the bottom of it and lean the glass against the rock where you think the crab it. The crab will go in to get the bait but can't crawl up the smooth side to get out. Good luck.

lol Yeah, snails and any shrimp will find thier way in as well. Be patient. It may take a few tries.

This process is driving my snails crazy, all of the have popped out of the sand.

Also, you may have better luck after lights are out and things are calm. It just occured to me that I didn't mention that. The crab probably won't chance venturing out til dark. :?

That's what I'm thinking too. My lights are off and it's dark here but I have a feeling that I won't catch him until the wee hours. If I catch him at all. I'll probably have a cup full of snails tomorrow. I thought I saw a glimpse of him on the rock I'm so tempted to take the rock out and flush him out but I have mushrooms on that rock.

Scat

Yeah, don't want to go to that extreme unless as a last resort. Hopefully he'll be hungry tonight and you'll get him. Good luck.

i was movin rocks around last week and ended up finding and catching a 2-3"rock crab in my tank scared the crap out of me i had no idea what it was at first big red eyes hes in the sump now and gonna be upgraded soon lucky i found him and not someone who would kill him
best part was that night with the rocks rearanged in the tank i seen another rock crab but its only 3 or 4mm so im not worried yet

I'm trying to catch mine so I can take him to the LR store. I don't have the heart to kill it. But some zoos are missing, not saying he did it but I'll just have to start narrowing it down.

Scat

No luck with catching him, just some snails. I may take the rock out and see if I can flush him with saltwater.

Scat

The saltwater isn't gonna flush him out. You could try a turkey baster and some FW. Or some non flavored carbonated water.

I may do that and see what happens. I'll try to miss the mushrooms. Maybe I can see him on the rock and poke him out.

Rachel

Can always use the Xterminator. Have caught several nasty crabs with mine. Place a nice smelly piece of raw shrimp at lights out. You may find him in the morning. :evil:

Attachments

• trap_640.jpg
    trap_640.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 22
Back
Top Bottom