I never suspected these guys were killers...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PB_Smith

Aquarium Advice Addict
my cleaner shrimp;

92584-albums13974-picture68663.jpg

a couple of weeks ago I had to take out my arrow crab because he became huge.
The only critter the lfs had that held any interest for me was another cleaner shrimp, so I made the trade.

I already had the pair you see above, added at different times, but they buddied up right away.
When I added the third shrimp trouble began right away with the other two being very, very interested in the new arrival.
By the next morning I noticed that the two were methodically stalking the new one and would attack whenever the opportunity arose. I was surprised to see such overt aggression from critters with such a peaceful reputation.
Then I noticed the possible cause, both of my original shrimp were carrying eggs as evidenced by the growing mass of light green under their abdomens.
In another day the individual eggs could be discerned.

I was amazed to watch the shrimp as one would chase the new guy while the other would stealthily maneuver around the rockwork to "cut him off at the pass". This happened on such a consistent basis that it was not mere coincidence, these two shrimp were methodically hunting the other one together.
After two days I figured it wasn't going to stop and I would rescue the poor fellow and return him to the lfs.
Alas when I awoke the next morning I found his lifeless body laying amongst the rockwork, now a snack for the various scavengers beginning to ravage him. :(

The other two shrimp have gone back to normal and the eggs have disappeared, another snack for their tank mates no doubt.

Has anyone else ever seen cleaner shrimp exhibit this type of behavior?

Ive never seen a killer shrimp in the home aquaria. that was one heck of a read. Sounded fun to watch them stalk it.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I have never known of cleaner shrimp doing this. But it does sound logical and normal if they were just removing the other shrimp so they could happily spawn in peace. In the wild they would have just chased it away but that obviously isn't possible in an aquarium so the only other option was to kill it. Never knew they were killers like you said but does kind of make sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom