I noticed my anenome sometimes shrivells up and spit out a gooey substance??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brady

Aquarium Advice Newbie
:confused:I have just put a green purple tipped anemone in my tank. ( 70 litres)I noticed it sometimes shrivells up and spit out a gooey substance??.. It seems happy enough when it opens out again and my maroon clown fish is interacting with it.
I also have a blue tang and a dooty back that keep swimming around it, I am worried they may get stung??
My tempature is around 28 degrees celcius, is this too warm.
thanks Brady:rainbow1:

Sounds OK to me. Food goes in and waste comes out the same place. It`s just expelling waste. Like to see a pic of this anenome. I`m thinking this is a seabae but not sure.

How long has the tank been running and what kind of lighting do you have? Being the tank is only 20 gal, you will have issues with the anemone stinging everything it touches since it will get bigger than the tank itself.

Your temp (82.4) is on the high side. Try dropping it to 78-80 (26 Celcius).

Thanks for the advice , The tank has been going for about 6 weeks. Will try and get a pic of it soon. I am cooling the tank down with frozen water bottles. seems to be working, have just pruchased a twin cooling fan for it.
I have aqua one sunlight and marine blue light setup.
The anemone is moving from its rock we put it on..just worried if it goes on the coral sand ? is this ok..My Clown fish loves it!!

Two problems I see. One is that your tank is too new. Anenome`s need a mature tank of at least one year. That way the tank is very stable. Also you dont have enough lighting. It will just keep moving search for the proper lighting which it will never find unless you upgrade your lighting to more intensity.

Hi, when you say upgrade lighting to more intensity, what do you mean? We have on the tank aqua one 18 watt T8 marine blue and sunlight lighting..
Is it ok for the anemone to go onto the coral sand..it is moving off the rock we put it on
thanks
Brady

Take a look at some of the links below, they will give you an idea of lighting. Anenomes need high lighting and a large tank, so I hope you are planning on upgrading eventually, because yours will eventually get too big for that tank...

Reef System Lighting - What to Buy and Why

That will give you a very basic idea of lighting. I would recommend at least T5 HO for your tank, and possibly even metal halides, if you were able to keep it cool enough...

The anenome will die with that lighting. You need to check out Power compact lighting or T5HO lighting. PC`s are not that intense but for a 20 gallon it might work. It`s going to go where it wants too. Without the proper lighting it will just keep wandering trying to find a good spot.

and a 75 is minimum on a tang.

they have clip on MH. if you have $$$ LEDs are starting to come into play.

The anenome will die with that lighting. You need to check out Power compact lighting or T5HO lighting. PC`s are not that intense but for a 20 gallon it might work. It`s going to go where it wants too. Without the proper lighting it will just keep wandering trying to find a good spot.

All
I just lost my second GBTA I have a 55g. setup for at least a year now, using the 48" Coralife Aqualight Double Compact Fluorescent Strip Lights - 2 - 10K 65watts, 2 - True Actinic 03 blue -65watts. Mine kept moving away from any lighting and getting either underneath the rock work or weded between the rocks and finally ended up dying so I am at a lose when being told they need T5HO when mine could not handle the Compact Lighting. I don't think I will be getting anymore for quite sometime.:(

Mary:(:(:(:(:(

I`m very sorry Mary. I personally still think it was the lighting. If you dont have the proper lighting it will just wander till it does find the right lighting. Your lighting was way under what it needs to be. I can promise you that you did not have too much lighting. Again Sorry about the loss. I too would not consider another one till you have at least 5-6 WPG or T5HO or MH`s.

All
I just lost my second GBTA I have a 55g. setup for at least a year now, using the 48" Coralife Aqualight Double Compact Fluorescent Strip Lights - 2 - 10K 65watts, 2 - True Actinic 03 blue -65watts. Mine kept moving away from any lighting and getting either underneath the rock work or weded between the rocks and finally ended up dying so I am at a lose when being told they need T5HO when mine could not handle the Compact Lighting. I don't think I will be getting anymore for quite sometime.:(

It's not that your anemones couldn't handle the Compact Lighting... it just wasn't enough lighting at all. Not nearly enough. I have 2x 96W of compact lighting on my 36" long tank, and that STILL isn't enough lighting!

Anemones were last in line when they handed out brains. (Which I guess it obvious since they don't have brains!) You'd think they'd move higher in the tank if they don't have enough light. And if the intensity of the lighting is enough, that's exactly what they'll do. But if they can't find the lighting they need, they'll just go find a dark corner and sulk and eventually kill themselves.

Until you upgrade your lighting, I would definitely stay away from them.

Ya not to be the teacher here but I agree with cabezon you really should not have a tang in that tank it will die very soon as it gets bigger

I was told that I had more then enought lighting on my 55G the total amount of watts on that compact that I have is 260 watts????????? I will not be getting another bta untill my entire system has been upgraded....
But it probably was sulking such a spoiled child. Like you said you would think he would have went higher to get closer to the light. But I was told that they don't get that much light in the ocean because they are kind of in deep waters???????

the pc lighting doesn't penetrate the water like other options do. also, it's very inefficient if you look at the watts, per lumens ratio.
deep water like how deep? the ones we keep in our tanks are harvested from reef depths. 20-35 feet tops. the largest fish tank light we know illuminates that pond.

i have been pretty lucky with my nem, he was very pale when I got him, almost to the point i wasnt sure if he was actually a green bubble tip or not, but he was under some PC for about a week untill i upgraded to my HOT5 setup (4 bulb). He is now a great shade of green and hasnt once moved in the tank since i put him in, during the day hes open and happy and at night he sucks into the rock and almost hides.

Back
Top Bottom