I seek the wisdom of the tang police!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Purevil21

Aquarium Advice Addict
My LFS just called me. A customer of his just returned a 250 gallon tank, and he wanted to know if I wanted it instead of the 180 I have on layaway. Same price, just went to look it over, looks brand new. So now comes the question, I know the golden rule is 6 feet, but the tank is 4x3x3. Are there any tangs that would be able to thrive in a tank of that dimension, if so I may jump on the chance, the setup is beautiful. Melosu, I know your out there, haha.

You will be fine, the width and height make up for any differences in length. By the way, 36" in height won't be fun in terms of regular maintenance and adjusting any decor, coral, etc ;)

That'll be fine 4 x 3 x 3 is a really weird dimension... Really really tall. You're going to need some REALLY big 400 watt MH lights for a reef.

those dimentions are off a little bit, that would add up to about 270 gallons

would be a pain to maintain. the glass is probably 1.5 thick and with require a supppperrrr strong mag float. and also a snorcal for you to be able to aquascape it. also a pain to light it.

i personally would stick to the 180

your gonna need Shaquille O'Neal to aquascape for you its soo big lol

Lol, yeah I suppose it is larger than 250. I verified the measurements at the store, it is 4x3x3. I was figuring if I put it in the middle of a wall I could access it from three sides. As far as aquascaping I was thinking two "islands" on opposing corners with corals in the open spaces between. It is a much nicer setup than the 180 for the same price, so Im torn. I know the 180 would be easier, but that tank would be a real center piece. lol

Im doing a little more research now, I really think I am going to go with the large tank. For 1500 it comes with everything, sump, pump, has dual overflows, skimmer, the only thing I will need to buy is lights. It has some High efficiency T5 lights, but that isn't going to support a reef. It is going to take some crazy halides to get that much light penetration, I was thinking maybe two four foot halide/ T5 combo fixtures. Even if I can't keep a regal, naso or orange shoulder, I think I could be happy with a couple of yellow tangs and some other reef safe fish.

I'd get like three 300-500 watt halides. Some with 20K bulbs others with just 14K and T5s for actinic.

Lighting is going to set me back some $$$, but this is going to be my end all be all tank. I promised my wifey. lol No more complaining about my tank being too small for what I want to keep.

Its prob a true 250 the thickness of the glass adds up. You cant figure 4x3x3. Inside measurements will be much smaller and adds up quick gallon wise.

That is a good point hind, it's amazing the gallon difference the slightest dimensions can make.

Ahh going with the bigger tank. LOL Well good for you. :-D At least the four foot lighting is less than going 72". Thats one deep thank though, I probably would have trouble getting out if I were in there.

MH lights cover aprox 2' x 2', so light spacing is going to take some planning. Mixing 400w and 250 MH pendants will give you the abiltiy to grow anything you want (clams on the bottom) and have some great variety.

Now if you are planning 2 islands with space between them, wouldn't you place the corals on the LR islands?

Congrats on the new tank. You`ll be OK with that tank. See on my 125 I have length but on that tank you have length and width. You`ll be OK with a hippo tang in that tank. Again congrats.

Thanks guys for all the advice, it is official now, I switched the money over toward the used 250 instead of the new 180. I called and made another lay away payment so I only have about 500 left to pay and its mine. Good point about the corals, I am going to want some things in-between the islands, do you think I could keep clams in a tank that deep? I can't wait to get it next month and start a build thread.

Guys, does starfire glass increase or decrease the value of a tank? I was told the front pane is made of it, is that desirable?

Back
Top Bottom