I sliced up a mushroom.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattscheck4

Aquarium Advice Regular
I read that, in order to expedite the multiplication of mushroom corals, you basically slice them up. Here's what I read: You cut it from the very bottom of the foot so there's a thin disc left. Then, you cut it into slices, each piece containing part of the "stem." Then place it in LR so it can attach and place nylon over so it doesn't move, etc.

So, is this legitimate, or did I just murder a mushroom?

If you cut the stems i think you're good to go, however i'm no expert on fragging so i suggest waiting until some experts chime in. I think that if you cut in to a billion tiny pieces.. it won't make it LOL, but if clean slices were cut with stems on each one, you fragged it properly.

Yeah it works but I dislike doing it that way. I prefer cut a strip from the top of the mushroom, missing the mouth and cut that into roughly square pieces bout the size of a dime. Then drop those on to the sand. They form there own mouths and when they're big enough put them on the rock where you want them. :)

Yeah it works but I dislike doing it that way. I prefer cut a strip from the top of the mushroom, missing the mouth and cut that into roughly square pieces bout the size of a dime. Then drop those on to the sand. They form there own mouths and when they're big enough put them on the rock where you want them. :)

I disliked doing it that way, too. I also dislike having to chop of a star's leg so my harlequin shrimp can eat. I cringe every time. Anyhow, you said to take a strip from the top. Where from the top? Like this image? Thanks!
Photo 58.jpg

They multiply so fast that fragging really isnt necessary. I started out with one that eventually turned into hundreds. Most I sold back to the LFS for store credit. You can see them on my tank pics.

I've had three mushrooms for about a month now, and I haven't seen any reproduction; that's why I decided to try to expedite things.

A month is way too early to expect multiplication IMO. Some mushrooms multiply quickly and others not. You may have a slow growing one.

Remember the old SW tank saying about "nothing good comes in a hurrry", or something like that? :)

Patience, grasshopper. :) (OK - if you're too young to remember the old Kung Fu television show, that one prolly slipped right by you)

A month is way too early to expect multiplication IMO. Some mushrooms multiply quickly and others not. You may have a slow growing one.

Remember the old SW tank saying about "nothing good comes in a hurrry", or something like that? :)

Patience, grasshopper. :) (OK - if you're too young to remember the old Kung Fu television show, that one prolly slipped right by you)

You're right; I have to be patient. ...but I don't wanna.:puppydogeyes:
Also, I always thought the grasshopper thing was making fun of Karate Kid II when Mr. Miyagi tells Julie to be like a praying mantis... Clearly, I'm misinformed.:)

Not misinformed... just young. (Sigh)

Give those mushrooms 6 months and I'm pretty sure you'll be wishing they STOPPED multiplying!

you basically slice them up
Hey I sliced my mushrooms up today as well, but I satiated them and had them for lunch :D
On the serious side my mushrooms was not multiplied for the firs 18mont at all.
Now suddenly I have 3 new one on the same rock and 1 on the nearest rock.
Like mattscheck4 wrote
"nothing good comes in a hurrry", or something like that?

Back
Top Bottom