Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-16-2004, 09:41 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

I swear that crab was waving at me!!!

After I turned my lights off last night, I happened by the tank and noticed something in a hole in the new LR. I bent down and looked at it and there staring right back at me was a little crab about the size of a dime.....WAVING AT ME!!! He had one claw up waving it back and forth. Then he just slowly walked back into the rock and out of sight. I was stunned and laughing at the same time....lol. I didn't really see any specific pattern on him, he looked to be covered in the same purple choraline algae as the LR. I'm still laughing about it this morning.

Old 05-16-2004, 11:40 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Crabs are the cutest creatures ever to grace this planet, I swear!

Old 05-16-2004, 11:57 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

He was also singing "good night, good night" in a very tiny voice before he went into the rock.

Be thankful for only a wave, my crabs got to know me and were lecturing me on my tank maintenance habits. Oh well that was before I traded them in to the LFS.

hehe
Old 05-16-2004, 12:03 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

He was so funny I really hate to take him outta the tank....but the reigning opinion is that crabs are evil. So, I'll give him a chance. If he does it again I'll keep him. If he does it again and lets me get video I'll buy him a 55gal tank of his own....lol.
Old 05-16-2004, 02:28 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If this crab has caused you to enjoy your tank just that little bit more...why would you want to remove him? Don't do so just because crabs are incompatible with some aquarium setups. Crabs may be just fine in your tank. It depends on what you want your tank to contain.

Also..this crab sounds like a filter feeder. I can't remember what they are called, but they feed by waving their arms in the water and grabbing things that are floating by. I know they are active at night. Pretty harmless I would think.
Old 05-16-2004, 03:22 PM   #6
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Also..this crab sounds like a filter feeder. I can't remember what they are called, but they feed by waving their arms in the water and grabbing things that are floating by. I know they are active at night. Pretty harmless I would think.
Agreed. Sounds like a porcelain crab. Completely harmless if so

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-16-2004, 05:26 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok....he stays until/if he becomes a problem....I really like creatures with personality. Thanks Steve and Brad.
Old 05-19-2004, 04:03 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Sounds like the little guy was waving saying thanks for the new digs....I like my new setup.

I found two hitch hiker Mythrax crabs on a small piece of lv with fuzzy mushrooms I bought and they, as they say ..only come out at night. I stay up sometimes jsut to see if I can find them. Always do. Fun to play where's waldo with them, to see them busy working.

50 gallon saltwater fish only...1 mated pair yellowtail damsels, neon dottyback, tomato clown, huma trigger, lemonpeel angel, 12 stripe wrase, bi-color blenny, dozen or so hermit crabs-scarlet and mexican, cerith snails, turbo snails, orange linkia starfish, 50 plus pounds of purple-pink coraline encrusted rock and a few mushrooms.

Redsea prism protein skimmer, 404 Fluval, UGF with two 201 powerheads.

7 gallon tank with 6 pounds of live rock and countless brittlestars, 5 hermit crabs, snails and 1 False Percula Clown fish and Camel Back Dancing shrimp
1neondottyback is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crab

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com