I think I got duped!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lbannie

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I bought some supposed base rock off ebay. I wanted to add to my existing rock so I have room for more corals. Anyway, I've had the rock sitting in some saltwater and I decided to drill some holes into it for placing frags. Well I noticed no dust was really coming out. When I took the drill bit out of rock, it was all pasty and glue like. You could mold the white stuff that came out of the hole and it sticks to your fingers. I've never drilled a rock before....but I don't think this is what comes out of the inside! Anyone here drill their rocks before? Does this sound like fake rocks to you? GRRR I'm so annoyed!:confused:

Doesn't sound fake to me. I've never drilled my rocks, but when I've broken up wet "live rock", some of the pieces had the consistency you describe inside. I was surprised at how un-rock-like it was. But then, it's not really rock, so it makes sense.

really? What is it then? I just drilled a piece of my rock that was in the tank (from marco rocks) and it seemed a lot different. not glue like, but more sandy....

Live rock is just old old dead coral skeletons, not really rock. It hasn't had enough time to become limestone. For that reason, shape and makeup of the rock will vary depending on where it's collected. I suppose you could have fake rock... but I wouldn't expect it to be pastey. I'd expect it to be even more solid than "real" live rock.

If you are scepticle that it is fake, then you could take a peice out and smash it with a hammer, that might give you a little more info on the situation, I have heard of people selling fake rock on eBay before. As a matter of fact I've also heard that you can make like styrofoam rocks, put them in saltwater and they will start to calcify. But I've never tried it and never will

that's real rock...it "bleeds" white stuff. at least all the live rock i ever drilled did.
look..i have proof!
img_1200551_0_e4e1881159e65638b122406497e0b89c.jpg

img_1200551_1_f050086677f19584ac06d322971a483d.jpg

mr x- The white stuff that came out was super goopy and sticky, like paste. I rubbed it on my fingers and it didn't come right off when I ran my hand under water... I had to really rub it off....I'm afraid to put it in my tank. I contacted the seller to see where and how he acquired it (we'll see what he says)

Mr x u look slot different then I expected lol for some reason I was picturing u to be a little nerdy guy haha I think just because this kid I went to school with was upsets with v for vandetta lol

Do you have pics?

If he made rock out of plaster he would have to be one helluva sculptor. I think your drill bit powdered the heck out of it. It is not rock, it is coral.

Back
Top Bottom