Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-08-2005, 01:10 PM   #1
zacdl

I think I have too much rock...

I have no clue what pecies to get rid of, or what peices to keep to make it look the best.

It is way too much (Although in the picture it doesnt look like much, the blacker of them (in front) is pretty big and I just stuck it in there in the front for keeping because I dont want it to die until I figure out what else to do)

Old 05-08-2005, 03:00 PM   #2
steve-s

It's not a matter that you have too much rock, it's that the pieces you have are too large. You can either take them back to the LFS if that's where you got them or simpley break them into smaller pieces if returning/exchanging is not an option. Use a small rock chisel and a small weight sledge hammer or a large ball peen hammer. With delicate enough hits in the same area, you can effectively split the rocks into more managable pieces.

Be sure you have someone around to help/supervise, wear thick leather work gloves and protective eye goggles. Wouldn't hurt to do this in a shallow plastic bin outdoors.

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-08-2005, 03:58 PM   #3
zacdl

Here is an updated pic, how does this look?

Old 05-08-2005, 05:53 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

looks fine to me
Old 05-08-2005, 06:32 PM   #5
zacdl

OK great. I got a couple leftover peices.
Old 05-09-2005, 05:47 PM   #6
steve-s

Looks better but be sure there is a few inches behind the rock. If too close to the glass you'll end up with dead water flow spots. This can easily lead to nuisance algae issues which small tanks are especially prone to given the lack of surface area and powerheads manufactured in their favor.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com