Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-11-2004, 01:11 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
I think I made a mistake when I added sand

Hey gang,

I think I made a mistake when I added my sand. It is day 2 and still very cloudy (milky) with no signs of going away. I dont think i rinsed the sand enough. (it is very fine sand.) I have been running my filter without any media content. should I add it now and let the extra cloudyness get caught up in it? I know that there will most definatly be very fine particulate still embeded in the sand. I assume that any attempts at vacuming the sand with animals in the tank will be disastorus. Is this a normal thing with fine sand? should I be worried? should I start over and re-clean the sand in a bucket? (the bag says that outside filtration will take care of the clowdiness but I am skeptical.
thanks.
-Matt
p.s. should I start my protien skimmer?

Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 01:28 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to luntiz
You can throw in some activated carbon, works wonders! Or just wait it out.

50 Gallon Acrylic Tank (36x15x20)
85lbs Fiji Live Rock
Barebottom
(4) Maxi-Jet 900 (230gph) *Awaiting 2 MJ1200s*

Lighting

(1) 250W 10,000K Aqualine Aquamedic HQI Hanging Pendant
(5) LED Moonlights

Live Stock

(2) Pink Skunk Clownfishes
Goldstripped Maroon Clownfish
Yellow Eye Kole Tang
Fuzzy Dwarf Lionfish
luntiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 01:36 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I took about 4 days for my tank to clear up. Once I got algae growing on the sand it stays down much better.
Old 05-11-2004, 01:48 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Anemoneman Send a message via Yahoo to Anemoneman
Bacteria needs to be established in the sand bed. It will settle when the bacteria has surrounded individual particles. I assume your tnak is already cycled with livestock in it. Be patient. It will settle. Reducing the flow in your tank temporarily may help. Rinsing (or not) the sand is not an issue. The critters will not be bothered by the persistant sand storm. The main thing is not to worry. This happens to EVERYBODY when they add sand.
Old 05-11-2004, 01:59 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

The cloudiness will clear on its own. It took my tank approx 1 week to clear out and this was without rinsing the sand first.

I wouldn't start the skimmer yet as you won't really having anything to skim.
Old 05-11-2004, 03:05 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to luntiz
Activated Carbon works for me...When I had a tank, my sandstorm went 3 days without a hitch of any signs of clearing up. The day I added the Carbon, the water cleared up overnight

50 Gallon Acrylic Tank (36x15x20)
85lbs Fiji Live Rock
Barebottom
(4) Maxi-Jet 900 (230gph) *Awaiting 2 MJ1200s*

Lighting

(1) 250W 10,000K Aqualine Aquamedic HQI Hanging Pendant
(5) LED Moonlights

Live Stock

(2) Pink Skunk Clownfishes
Goldstripped Maroon Clownfish
Yellow Eye Kole Tang
Fuzzy Dwarf Lionfish
luntiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 05:50 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to WarOrks15 Send a message via MSN to WarOrks15
i whnt 3 day with no sign of it clearing up. then i turned on the skimmer. the skimmer took the dust out of the water. then i also added one of the poly pads. they work great. bu8t just wate it out.
Old 05-11-2004, 06:21 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Mine took about a week to start clearing up but the day I put my LR in it cleared up in hours............here a photo after a week.

HTH

I bought a HOB filter, and ran my skimmer to help clear up, took the HOB filter off after the water cleared
3-Maxi-Jet 1200.../w wavemaker
60 lbs CaribSea Aragamax
50 lbs Keys Rock (liverocks.com)
DIY Sump / Fuge 15 gal
bckane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 06:46 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
I ended up running the micron filter that came with my Magnum 350. cleared up almost instantly! (but it ruined the filter.)

oh well, that filter isnt any good for reef tanks anyway!
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 12:14 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

I would of just let it sit, that fine sand is very good for the bacteria to live on but its ok that you cleaned it up with the filter, thats what I did to I just couldnt wait any longer. Do you have ph's to go in there? If you do put them in and turn them on because they will probobly casue another storm so might as well get it out of the way too

Tags
sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com