Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-28-2004, 04:42 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think I need an algae grazer

Now that my tank's finally out of it's cyano phase, I'm wondering if I can fit another small fish.
Specs:
40gallon breeder - 2x96w PC's (1 actinic03, 1 10k) - CPR bak-pak2R - 3 powerheads giving me about 14x turnover an hour
Stocking:
2 small false percs - 1 six-line wrasse - a half dozen small brittle stars, 1 skunk cleaner shrimp, 2 turbo snails, 2 tiny conch's, a half dozen small hermit crabs, 1 yellow sea cuke, 1 6" serpent star, 1 sand sifting star. I also have a small patch of yellow polyps, and some green mushroom corals.

I'm seeing patches of green algae on live rock. Do I have room for something like a lawnmower blenny? I think I heard a scooter blenny will also graze?

Compatibility is so difficult sometimes.

Old 10-28-2004, 04:47 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I am having the same problem Malkore. I have green algae all over my LR as well. I would be curious to see what could get rid of it as well.

Mike

Old 10-28-2004, 04:49 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You have to love the idea of owning a fish with the name Lawnmower Blenny... In fact, I think I want one too. Jeff
Old 10-28-2004, 04:57 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

My prob with the lawnmowers is that the one I had never ate much. Supposively they eat pods as their main staple... some say theirs eat other items but mine actually starved to death (I believe he did) a few days after I got him. I have only 35# of lr so I guess it wasn't sufficient.
Old 10-28-2004, 05:09 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have pods all over the place in my tank. I don't know if he would be readily accepted in my tank since it is pretty aggressive. I have a large hermit crab that usually does a good job, but he has been slacking lately. A good sand sifter is what I need.

Mike
Old 10-28-2004, 05:24 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
I think you have room in there. A Scotter Blenny is really a Dragonete. A pod eater that won't touch algae.
My Lawnmover Blenny, assisted by my Coral Beauty have managed to mow down nearly 70% of the algae in my tank. Thank goodness they both eat prepared food as well.
Highly recommended for the job.
Old 10-29-2004, 08:44 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

I think a bi-color blenny will graze also. Small too. Seen a gumdrop goby? Just got one as I hope he will do some grazing for me. Cute little pugnacious thing and about an inch and a half. I was told nearly full grown. He perches on rocks and is currently almost affixed to the rock in QT.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 11:40 AM   #8
steve-s

I would agree with austinsdad, for that tank size a bi-color would be a much better choice. Very interesting fish with loads of personality. It may not control your algae needs completely but will definately make a good dent. They are also more prone to accepting prepared foods where a lawnmower will often not and in a smaller tank a lawnmower could easily eat itself out of house anjd home. Both of these fish will also not typically eat macro/turf alages although they may scrape the film algae off the foliage.

2 grazing snails are also on the low side even for a newer tank. I would up that a bit at your next opportunity. The conch snails depending on species will not normally leave the sandbed so they are not likely to help in regards to the whole tank.

Cheers
Steve
Old 10-29-2004, 11:50 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Steve,

THanks for the info. I was actually told that 3 turbo snails were too much...then one died/was eaten by a scarlet hermit, so I never increased their numbers.

I will scope out the availability of a bi-color blenny, and a couple more grazing snails at the LFS's.
Old 10-29-2004, 12:27 PM   #10
steve-s

I was not particularly suggesting turbo's, just more snails. The "Turbo's" moreso sold in the hobby these days are not the right species anyway (Turbo fluctuous). I would actually opt for 1-2 each of trochus, nerite, margarita and cerith. I wouldn't add more than about 10ish for now. It can always be added to later.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« PETCO | xenia »