Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-04-2016, 02:53 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

I think I'm better now...but look to make sure

I post a few days ago that I have a 30g Reef tank! At first I was only going to do many fish! So I bought a wet dry filter! Well my buddy gave me over 30lbs of live rock and corals! So now I'm making it a reef tank lol! So I return it! Now I have a Eshopps RS-75 sump and a PF300 over flow! I also have 420gh sump pump a protein skimmer and a 800gph water mover! How does this sound? Would like to put some fish in there to how many fish do y'all think I can have? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 01-04-2016, 05:58 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

System sounds good. Im assuming you just set this up? Have you cycled it yet? If not, let it cycle for 30 days or so, test ammonia until you have none.

Then add one fish. See how it does. You'll want to add more right away but just add one. If after a month your tank is doing fine, you fish and coral are still alive, you could add another.

Take it slow. Biggest new tank mistake is getting all excited and adding 3 fish together. You could have another cycle killing them all. You could have one bring in a parasite killing them all, you could add so much food and poop at the same time that your tank crashes or grows hair algae faster than you can get rid of it.

Slow and steady brings success.

30 gallons is good for about 3-4 fish all together. Any more and you could come across aggression or the bioload will be too high and things will start to die. I found my 50 gallon liked 5 fish total, any more and things went wonky.

Old 01-05-2016, 12:38 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal-Chin View Post
System sounds good. Im assuming you just set this up? Have you cycled it yet? If not, let it cycle for 30 days or so, test ammonia until you have none.

Then add one fish. See how it does. You'll want to add more right away but just add one. If after a month your tank is doing fine, you fish and coral are still alive, you could add another.

Take it slow. Biggest new tank mistake is getting all excited and adding 3 fish together. You could have another cycle killing them all. You could have one bring in a parasite killing them all, you could add so much food and poop at the same time that your tank crashes or grows hair algae faster than you can get rid of it.

Slow and steady brings success.

30 gallons is good for about 3-4 fish all together. Any more and you could come across aggression or the bioload will be too high and things will start to die. I found my 50 gallon liked 5 fish total, any more and things went wonky.

Thanks man! Yea it's going though the cycle right now! No fish so far now you said 3-4 fish does that include bottom crawlers too

Old 01-05-2016, 01:14 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Like crabs and snails? No, you can get a bunch of those. I'd get five of each to start.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
Old 01-05-2016, 01:23 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal-Chin View Post
Like crabs and snails? No, you can get a bunch of those. I'd get five of each to start.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Yea also wife likes shrimp too lol

Old 01-05-2016, 01:25 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Do I need to wait on the cycle to end before I can put crabs and snails in

Old 01-06-2016, 07:11 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

I've found snails to be difficult to kill, so long as you're keeping up on wc, they'll be fine. Can't say anything about crabs.
Old 01-06-2016, 05:35 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

The system needs to be stable before adding shrimp IMO.

Old 01-06-2016, 06:03 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

I wasn't thinking about shrimp but snails

Old 01-06-2016, 06:44 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

As mentioned, snails are pretty tough. Good luck!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com