I think I'm better now...but look to make sure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bogeymc6

Aquarium Advice Regular
I post a few days ago that I have a 30g Reef tank! At first I was only going to do many fish! So I bought a wet dry filter! Well my buddy gave me over 30lbs of live rock and corals! So now I'm making it a reef tank lol! So I return it! Now I have a Eshopps RS-75 sump and a PF300 over flow! I also have 420gh sump pump a protein skimmer and a 800gph water mover! How does this sound? Would like to put some fish in there to how many fish do y'all think I can have? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

System sounds good. Im assuming you just set this up? Have you cycled it yet? If not, let it cycle for 30 days or so, test ammonia until you have none.

Then add one fish. See how it does. You'll want to add more right away but just add one. If after a month your tank is doing fine, you fish and coral are still alive, you could add another.

Take it slow. Biggest new tank mistake is getting all excited and adding 3 fish together. You could have another cycle killing them all. You could have one bring in a parasite killing them all, you could add so much food and poop at the same time that your tank crashes or grows hair algae faster than you can get rid of it.

Slow and steady brings success.

30 gallons is good for about 3-4 fish all together. Any more and you could come across aggression or the bioload will be too high and things will start to die. I found my 50 gallon liked 5 fish total, any more and things went wonky.

System sounds good. Im assuming you just set this up? Have you cycled it yet? If not, let it cycle for 30 days or so, test ammonia until you have none.

Then add one fish. See how it does. You'll want to add more right away but just add one. If after a month your tank is doing fine, you fish and coral are still alive, you could add another.

Take it slow. Biggest new tank mistake is getting all excited and adding 3 fish together. You could have another cycle killing them all. You could have one bring in a parasite killing them all, you could add so much food and poop at the same time that your tank crashes or grows hair algae faster than you can get rid of it.

Slow and steady brings success.

30 gallons is good for about 3-4 fish all together. Any more and you could come across aggression or the bioload will be too high and things will start to die. I found my 50 gallon liked 5 fish total, any more and things went wonky.

Thanks man! Yea it's going though the cycle right now! No fish so far now you said 3-4 fish does that include bottom crawlers too

Like crabs and snails? No, you can get a bunch of those. I'd get five of each to start.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Like crabs and snails? No, you can get a bunch of those. I'd get five of each to start.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Yea also wife likes shrimp too lol

Do I need to wait on the cycle to end before I can put crabs and snails in

I've found snails to be difficult to kill, so long as you're keeping up on wc, they'll be fine. Can't say anything about crabs.

I wasn't thinking about shrimp but snails

Back
Top Bottom